PDA

View Full Version : Refugium

Honeygs
01/30/2005, 01:09 AM
I would like to know the pros and cons of refugiums, hang-on versus tanks. I have a 55 gallon with 25 lbs. live rock, 40 lbs live sand, 2 damsels, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 firefish. Working with a coral 50/50 and plan on upgrading lighting. (Any suggestions for lighting)? I want to install a refugium and put my skimmer and heaters in there. What size should I get? I see where others use hang-ons and swear by them. Then I see where others set up a refuguim tank. Has anyone tried both? Thanks.

Reefmedic79
01/30/2005, 02:31 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/526049513Reefnut_welcome.gif <br><b><i><big><big>To Reef Central</b></i></big></big>

I can't really think of any Cons to having a refugium. I can definately give the Pros though.

Adds volume to total system = the higher the volume, the more stable the entire system is.

Provides a refuge for microfauna = Copapods, Amphipods, Mini Stars can all breed and thrive without fear of predation which in turn can provide extra food for the display, whether the survive the trip through the pump or not. Hang Fuge's don't have this problem though.

Provides an out of the way place for Macro Algea to be propagated. = These algea's then absorb excess nutrients out of the tank such as Nitrates and Phosphates, providing better water parameters.

If the fuge is large enough, it's also a great location for a DSB, if you don't want to sacrifice the space a DSB requires in the display tank.

Basically though any fuge is better than no fuge, but I would get the biggest you can fit or afford. A heater can be placed in it, but I don't suggest a skimmer. The skimmer should be placed in the sump where alot of flow can be maintained. A fuge typically has lower flow conditions.

Ryan M
01/30/2005, 02:42 AM
The idea behind a refugium is to grow macro algae to export unwanted nitrates. People incorporate a refugium inside of their sump where they also have their heater, skimmer and other equipment they don't want in the display tank. IMO it comes down to convenience with regards to a hang-on, normally those with a hang-on don't have a sump. As for pros and cons, well it's all pros, the only con being complicating your tank a little more (if you can consider that a con).

Lighting comes down to the types of animals your going to have in your tank (LPS, SPS, clams). If your even considering getting sps corals then buy metal halides now and save yourself the mistake.

Ryan