PDA

View Full Version : how long does everyone soak food in garlic before feeding?

tvrsir
01/29/2005, 11:24 PM
trying to jump on this ich. i think. i added a flame angel about 2 weeks ago. when i looked at him i saw two white dots on his fin. when i brought him home and added him to the tank. a weeke later it was gone doing well. well today my tang and clowns seem very lathargic but eating. also the tang's starting to scratch on rocks a lil. and my cleaner wrasse is cleaning him more often.

so i wanna try this precaution before everything dies again. i had fish 8 months ago died on me from ick. the cleaner wrasse was the sole surviver. making him my favorite.

so back to the question, HOW LONG?

bement14
01/29/2005, 11:35 PM
I soak my garlic for 30 minutes.

Neurosis
01/29/2005, 11:42 PM
Soak it for as long as you can. I've done 30 mins, but I guess longer would be better. IMO, garlic really isn't a treatment for ick, but as a preventative measure. For example, if I was planning on bringing a new fish home w/o QTing, then I'd load up the current tank residents w/ garlic a week or two before bring the new fish home. If you don't have any corals, you could try Kent RxP (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4716&N=2004+113016), the inverts may not make it. And don't go sticking your head over the tank when you use this stuff, cuz the active ingredient is capsiasin (you know the stuff hot peppers have and the stuff in pepper spray)... it'll burn your eyes and lungs... trust me I found out:eek1: Stress levels can really decrease your inhabitants immune levels, and I'd think a 20L is a bit small for a tang and flame to both be in.

JENnKerry
01/30/2005, 08:02 AM
Every Sunday morning I make my blend of foods in the blender, including adding some garlic to it. It goes in the fridge and we feed later that night around 7 or so.