PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Skimmer before or after fuge?

Xandernfs
01/29/2005, 09:22 PM
I have a 20L for a sump and was wanting to turn part of it into a fuge. But my question is: should i put the skimmer before or after the fuge? Is there a difference? The only thing I could think of is harming the pod population. I was going to put it after the fuge, but not sure now. Help me

Limpit
01/29/2005, 09:25 PM
I say before.

jl526
01/29/2005, 09:27 PM
I'm going to be setting up a 20L sump also. Since I have dual drains on each side of the tank, I"m most likely going to have a fuge compartment on one side of the drain, and the skimmer compartment on the other side of the drain, and the return in the middle.

Misfit6669
01/29/2005, 09:41 PM
I would say put your skimmer as far away from the return pump as you can. I guess that means before.
Brian

leebca
01/29/2005, 10:05 PM
I like before the refugium for the reasons that any 'mystery' chemical protein produced by flora in the refugium won't be removed by the skimmer; and it aerates the water going to the refugium.

But if you think you need/must put the skimmer after the refugium, it will generally not harm the pods passing through it.
:)

Xandernfs
01/29/2005, 10:18 PM
From your responses, here is what i had in mind....let me know what you think. . . . . .

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=84282

I'm not good with doing pictures.....is there a way to up load it....i tried the way and it didn't work.

Lemme try again....

[img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7591520L_Fuge_Sump.JPG

PinkFloydReefer
01/29/2005, 10:22 PM
Mine is before, but logically I think you would want it after, especially if you are trying to grow macros. They wont grow as well if you are feeding it nutrient poor skimmed water....Thats what I have read at least:) I think you will get pretty much the same results either way.

Misfit6669
01/29/2005, 10:31 PM
I think it looks good, I would recommend a few things a little different to help avoid micro bubbles getting sucked back up. Let me start with this is just my opinions and take if for what it's worth.
1st - If possible, face the skimmer away from your first baffles. Try to have the return facing the left side of the picture.
2nd - Not sure what your very first baffle is doing, I think it might help bring the skimmer bubbles down the baffles and into your fuge area. There is a good chance they will make it past your next baffles also, depending on how much flow you have going.

Micro bubble suck and I would do everything you can to try to avoid them.
Just my take.
Good luck.
Brian

Xandernfs
01/30/2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Misfit6669
I think it looks good, I would recommend a few things a little different to help avoid micro bubbles getting sucked back up. Let me start with this is just my opinions and take if for what it's worth.
1st - If possible, face the skimmer away from your first baffles. Try to have the return facing the left side of the picture.
2nd - Not sure what your very first baffle is doing, I think it might help bring the skimmer bubbles down the baffles and into your fuge area. There is a good chance they will make it past your next baffles also, depending on how much flow you have going.

Micro bubble suck and I would do everything you can to try to avoid them.
Just my take.
Good luck.
Brian

What do you mean about the 1st baffle?

jhunko
01/30/2005, 01:16 PM
I put mine before, the macro still grows like weeds in the fuge. Not all of the water passes thrue the skimmer.

Misfit6669
01/30/2005, 06:50 PM
The very first baffle on the left hand side. Not sure of the purpose of it is. I think it might help pull some of the air bubbles down into the fuge are. If it was a tall then the other, I could see it as a level controller for the skimmer. Sorry if I'm not making myself clear. When I have some more time, I could try a drawing to help explain.
Brian

Xandernfs
01/30/2005, 11:27 PM
bump for nite crew. . . .

Misfit6669
01/31/2005, 01:55 AM
Not sure which program you did you sump in but if you can email the file to me, I will try to show you what I am talking about with a few mods.
Misfit69@gmail.com
Brian