PDA

View Full Version : More help... Additives...

serankko
01/29/2005, 08:39 PM
Hey guys,

I am almost ready to fill my tank and start my reef... I'm going to order some stuff online and I want to order as much as I can now to avoid many shipping costs...

I'm planning to have this type of corals :

Assortment of Ricoidea Florida
Assortment of Ricoidea Yuma
Assortment of Clavularia sp. (clove polyps)
Assortment of Zoanthus sp.
Assortment of Rhodactis sp.
Assortment of Discosomas sp.

Easy to have, easy to keep... Or at least many people told me that...

What type of additives do I have to order and what brand ??? (Iodine, magnesium, etc)

Thanks for your help

Jpizzle
01/29/2005, 09:26 PM
with those corals you really don't need to have the additives you listed.

THose are all easy to keep softies. Once your tank gets somewhat stocked- you're probably going to need to dose for Calcium and Alkalinity needs.

Ideally your calcium should be 450 ppm and your Alkalinity at 8 dKH (i think.. can't rmemeber).

Anyways- the two part supplement "B-ionic" by ESV is good for your needs. Or you could consider dripping kalkwasser.

Limpit
01/29/2005, 09:30 PM
How much live rock are you going to have in your tank? Better do that before you add anything else.

serankko
01/29/2005, 10:05 PM
well, the tank is 30 gallon but in custom configuration... 48" long by 12" by 12"... I'm planning to have from 35 to 40 pounds...

Neurosis
01/29/2005, 11:17 PM
If all your deciding on keeping right now are softies, then calcium levels aren't an issue. If you're gonna be keeping lps and sps, then you will want to keep your calcium in check. Most folks are real big on additives... as long as your water params are good, you'll get all the stuff you need from water changes.