PDA

View Full Version : nudibranches

petergordet
01/29/2005, 08:24 PM
my LFS just got in some purple nudibranches and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. how would i keep them alive and are they toxic when they die. i would love to have one but i dont buy anything before doing research but i couldnt find anything about these little guys.

thanks for the help

kevensquint
01/29/2005, 08:41 PM
I asked this 2 weeks ago,and the unanimous answer was don't get it.Does'nt live long,hard to feed etc....

petergordet
01/29/2005, 09:10 PM
but it is possible to do? what do they eat? can it be added to the tank on like a weekly basis to feed them? when they die are they toxic to their tankmates?

Limpit
01/29/2005, 09:19 PM
I read an article years ago about some guy who bought a real cool looking Nudibranch and it made its way into the tanks sump through the return line when the pump was off for feeding and when the pump was turned back on it got shreaded up in the pumps impeller and wiped out the whole tank due to the toxins they have in their body. While the odds of that happening are remote it could release toxins for some other reason.

Ti
01/29/2005, 09:22 PM
If you REALLY want to try it, then do it.
We're not gonna stop you.

Misfit6669
01/29/2005, 09:48 PM
Any nudies I get, mostly lettuce seem to get along with my powerheads, returns pumps or anything else that can chop them up. I think they will commit suicide before they starve.
Brian

Chemguy85
01/29/2005, 10:05 PM
Ok Here is the deal. These nudibranches are toxic. They will wipe out your tank if they die. They eat sponges. I guess that you could buy sponges once if finishes off the ones in your tank. I have heard of people training their nudis to eat angle food but only a few will do this. I hope u are lucky and this works out for you but the odds are against you. Ben

romunov
01/30/2005, 04:52 AM
Nudibranches are specific predators upon sponges and cnidarians. One species will eat only a few species of perticular prey. Chances are, it will starve in your tank. Also, there are unprotected powerheads...

I would spend my dollar on something else.

Travis L. Stevens
01/30/2005, 07:57 AM
what about the flatworm eating nudibranch? how quick do they eat them and how quick do flatworms multiply?