PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Ecosystem 40?

porkbullet
01/29/2005, 06:51 PM
Anyone using the Ecosystem 40 hang on the back model?

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/hangonback.html

Since this is a HOB solution, I am assuming this is using a continual syphon. What happens if the syphon breaks???

Stevan
01/29/2005, 09:03 PM
CPR makes one too...Maybe a little nicer.

You drill 2 holes in the J tube just below the normal water surface level...if the syphon is broken your main tank will only drain to the level of the hole. You drill 2 hole in case a snail is sitting on one hole (or dirt is clogging it) when the syphon breaks.

porkbullet
01/29/2005, 11:56 PM
Ok, drill two holes.. not sure if I understand this. The wholes would be on the tube leading to the pump? Just below the water level in the fuge?

Stevan
01/30/2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by porkbullet
Ok, drill two holes.. not sure if I understand this. The wholes would be on the tube leading to the pump? Just below the water level in the fuge?

Assuming you have an overflow box you have a J tube tube which goes from your tank to your overflow box. The tube looks like an upside down J or a U. You drill the holes in this tube just below the normal Tank-side waterline.

If too much water leaves your tank the holes are uncovered and air enters breaking the syphon.

mash2k
01/30/2005, 10:51 AM
I have an Ecosystem 60 HOB. Same as yours only larger. If there is a siphon break the worst thing that would happen is your pump would run dry possibly ruining the pump. Then you are out $15. The siphon will not break anyway. This is not like my sump fed by an overflow via gravity downward where if the power goes out it backsiphons into the sump subsequently overflowing onto the floor. The design of the Ecosystem HOB is very good. Don't sweat it one bit, and don't drill into your return. Why ruin it when you don't need to.

Stevan
01/30/2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by mash2k
I have an Ecosystem 60 HOB. Same as yours only larger. If there is a siphon break the worst thing that would happen is your pump would run dry possibly ruining the pump. Then you are out $15. The siphon will not break anyway. This is not like my sump fed by an overflow via gravity downward where if the power goes out it backsiphons into the sump subsequently overflowing onto the floor. The design of the Ecosystem HOB is very good. Don't sweat it one bit, and don't drill into your return. Why ruin it when you don't need to.

Cool-Good into! Seems to be a better unit then I've seen on Ebay. But it sure looks like an overflow box and a J tube to me...So beware.

porkbullet
01/30/2005, 06:59 PM
Anyone else have an Ecosystem HOT refugium? How do they compare to the CPR Aquafuge? There's gotta be something to justify that price difference. OUCH!

mash2k
01/30/2005, 08:55 PM
I am curious abot the CPR HOT also. I got my Eco system for $175 shipped. They come with eevrything ; lights, miracle mud, bioballs, etc.

That said, I wanted a sump/refugium and built one for a fraction of what I paid for the ecosystem.

Knowing now what I didn't know then, I would get the aquafuge for cheap on ebay and add what I needed if I was to do a HOT setup.