PDA

View Full Version : Really getting angry now!

porkbullet
01/29/2005, 05:48 PM
Ok, so there seems to be one aspect of this hobby that I just can't seem to figure out. It has been explained briefly in numerous articles, posts, and books. But I guess I am just dumber than the average aquarist out there. So I am going to need to have this spelled out for me.

HOW DO YOU ATTACH FRAGS TO LIVE ROCK?

I am talking about frags that already come on a little piece of LR or reef plug of some kind. I am really struggling with this. I was told that a little dab of super-glue was all I needed. However, we can see the results of using that product were FAR from successful and risked ending in divorce (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=510686)!

When I used super-glue the bond did not hold and about a week and a half later my frag was upside down in the substrate.

So I purchased a tube of Aqua-Stick epoxy putty for the absolute highway robbery price of 17.99 for a 2 oz. stick. I tried using that and the stuff was either old, stale, worn out, or something, cause it was a complete joke! It didn't stick at all, and now my ricordia frag is sliming all over the place and still not adhered to any of my LR.

Remember, these are frags that are already attached in some way to a small piece of LR or reefplug.

HELP!

Pistonkev
01/29/2005, 05:54 PM
For anything but sps a needle and a little fishing line work wounders.

porkbullet
01/29/2005, 06:02 PM
OK, this is what I'm talking about.

I guess I'm really dumb. But can you maybe explain a little bit about the needle and fishing line??

Am I sewing my small piece of rock that my frag is attached to onto my big piece of LR?

Not sure how this would work.

Ebisan
01/29/2005, 06:13 PM
I use the Loctite super glue gel (bought it at Walmart) and it works great for me. I don't put a dab. In fact, a 4gram tube lets me attach 4 frags. I put a goop of it the size of a pea. When I press the frag rock to the LR, I wiggle the rock around a little to break/open up the pea. Hold it there for about a minute and wala, it's stuck on there pretty good. Even my turbo snails can't mow them down. For the softer corals not attached to anything, I use wedding veil wrapped around a rock. Once it attaches, I remove the veil and glue the rock to the LR. Found the technique at garf.org.

jeffb3t
01/29/2005, 06:20 PM
Don't feel too bad. I have a bunch of different frags that I have to upright everyday thanks to some hermits that one day will be gone. I still think epoxy is your best bet. Holdfast epoxy has been my best friend in this battle. Check out the link for the details. Best of luck.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_miscellaneous_epoxy.asp?CartId=

Warboc
01/29/2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Ebisan
For the softer corals not attached to anything, I use wedding veil wrapped around a rock. Once it attaches, I remove the veil and glue the rock to the LR. Found the technique at garf.org.

Not sure I understand that one. New to this, well have no corals yet. Still cycling new tank. Anyways, I have seen that method mentioned quite a few times. (checking garf.org now though)

Edit: No search function there, have a link to the part about it?

steveyoung
01/29/2005, 07:15 PM
I use the tunze epoxy putty, works perfectly......it does send the skimmer a little nuts for a while when I use it in my display tank, but it is perfect for what you are trying to do.

Just mix the putty together, then stick a lump of it to the small pices of rock and press it onto the LR where you want it to stay.
When you first stick it on, it doesn't look very nice as it cures a very bright white color, but it doesn't take long for the algae etc. to grow over it.
I tried to move some the other day, it takes some doing....once it cures there is now moving it.