PDA

View Full Version : Trying to be patient about hair algae

gtruslow
01/29/2005, 05:41 PM
Ive done all I can do to figure out what is causing my green hair algae. almost 5 weeks ago I upgraded from a 29g to a 55g .. I transferred everything from the old to the new. I didnt have the hair algae in the old tank, whats causing it now? I have tested my water parameters, turned lights off for 3 days at a time. I have bought over the past 2 weeks a lawnmower blenny, kole tang, 3 emerald crabs .. nothing touches it.
I tested for phosphates, I used chemi-clean to get rid of some cyano bacteria( small trace) .. but nothing is slowing down the hair algae. If anyone has any recommendations ( other than tearing down my tank and scrubbing almost every rock) please advise on what I should do.
here is my current setup
55g tank
50# crushed coral ( arag-alive)
60# live rock
coral life lighting with one one Atinic and one 10K ( total 192 watts) - brand new
3 percula clowns
1 yellow tang
1 watchman goby
1 lawnmower blenny
1 kole tang
3 emerald crabs
blue-leg hermit crabs
and a large assorment of snails ( turbo, astrea, cerinth)

my water parms are:
I use DI water ( bought from Walmart)
P.H. - 8.2
nitrate - almost undetectable
phosphates: .25 mg/l
amonia - 0
nitrites - 0

If anyone has any recommendations on what I should try next I would appreciate it. Thanks

kevensquint
01/29/2005, 09:06 PM
I won the battle a few months ago.This is what I beleive worked for me:4 huge turbo snails(almost tennis ball size)
-1 long spined urchin
-very carful feedings,nothing falls to the bottom
- switching from tap water to RO/DI
- using ROWA phosphate remover + skimmer on full power
-boosting calcium and alk to encourage coraline algae
-making sure my nitrates are 0 and phosphates undetectable yours are too high .25 is way too much.

Ti
01/29/2005, 09:23 PM
Dump in a sea urchin and once the job is done eject it.

Limpit
01/29/2005, 09:27 PM
Maybe you are feeding your fish and inverts too much? Try less food and see if that helps.

fromtheocean
01/29/2005, 09:32 PM
I beat it too watch your phosphate do water change's only w/ro/di. Careful with feeding - that's the tough one. try using phosban it works!!! Good luck

elliottsa
01/29/2005, 09:52 PM
Are you using ro/di water? Are you testing for phosphates? Phosban + phosban reactor usually works wonders (did for me.)

gtruslow
01/29/2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone, I use distilled water from Walmart and tested it today before I changed my water it read 0.
I will put some phosban in and keep my fingers crossed, I'd like to try and not add anymore load ( fish) to the tank right now.
I try and feed minimally to the few fish I have morning and evening ... and trust me .. they dont let any hit the bottom.
Thanks for all the responses, you guys/gals rawk !

drjrose
01/29/2005, 11:39 PM
Competiton from a macroalgae also helps. Chaetomorpha is especially good at this: http://floridapets.tripod.com/marineplants.html It also makes a great place to raise pods.