PDA

View Full Version : question about RO/DI water

gusto1
01/29/2005, 02:56 PM
after I made my RO/DI water my tds meter was reading 0
after I transfered it to a spare empty 10 gallon tank I had it is reading 50 ( this is the water I use for top off's), I assume the tank is causing the higher reading,
1) how would it do that.
2) should I throw this batch out
3) what would be a good container to store it to.

I first make the RO/DI water in a rubbermaid brute pail, then I transfer 10 gallons to a tank to make salt water, then I take the other 10 gallons and put that in the tank in question to hold for top off. are there any suggestions.

also the water that I wix with salt for water changes can that tank be effected also it is in a different tank.

Thank You
Gus

AZDesertRat
01/29/2005, 03:29 PM
Always store DI water in a sealed container away from direct light. DI water is like a magnet and attracts all sorts of nasties. I use 5G water bottles with tight fitting lids, others use Rubbermaid brutes with tightly fitting lids.

gusto1
01/29/2005, 03:41 PM
Thank You
I did think of 2 things that might have caused the reading. after I finished checking my tank SG with my hydrometer, my son took it( it was empty but still wet) and put it in the ten gallon tank for top off that is giving me the high reading, also I do use a brand new mag 3 pump to pump the water from the brute to the storage tank.
can any of this cause it.
Gus

mzeinstr
01/29/2005, 03:46 PM
sorry to jump in but, i am storing mine in a 12 gallon crock with a wooden top, will that be OK?

Z

AZDesertRat
01/29/2005, 04:10 PM
A new pump shouldn't make much if any difference as long as it is clean. Yes even the little amount of TDS on a hydrometer could make a difference. When you think about cations and anions and negatively and positively charged particles things really are attracted to ultra pure water, thats why it is called the universal solvent, especially in a very pure form.
The crock is probably fine as long as that is all you use it for. I think maybe we focus too much on purity. I have 4 5 gallon buckets which I use exclusively for tank water, be it make up, new salt water or old water being siphoned out. I have never used these buckets for anything else and I am careful to rinse them out after each use, but once I have made my RO/DI, never test it again to see what I may have picked up from the bucket that was earlier used for a water change since I know saltwater is the only thing that has ever been in it.