PDA

View Full Version : Oh No

algonquin
01/29/2005, 02:08 PM
You got it, I think that our Royal Gramma has contacted Ick. He is showing a few whites spots on his head, not sure for sure if it is ick though, it could be a fungus. What I was wondering is about the Garlic Solution. I wanted to soak the flake food in it, and then feed them. Do I just get garlic extract from the store, is that what it is or is it something else that I have to make, how long do I soak the food in it, and will it hurt anything else in the tank like corals or crabs?
Thanks for your help!!

JENnKerry
01/29/2005, 02:19 PM
I've heard of a lot of people using garlic extract from their grocery store. I really dont know what the difference is between that and the garlic you would buy at your LFS. But to answer your question, no it wont hurt the corals or inverts. I use it all the time in my food blend that I make every week. The garlic will help but I dont think it will cure whatever it is your gramma has. You need to QT it.

Mariner
01/29/2005, 02:29 PM
Ditto what JenNKerry said. I soak my flake food in garlic everyday. You can use garlic extract (not salt or powder) from a grocery store, or even crush it yourself (actually, this is probably the best option because it produces the freshest alycon [sp.], which is the "active" ingredient in garlic).
Reality is that garlic may, possibly, aid in preventing a fish coming down with ich, although there is little science even for that claim. The likelihood that it will actually effect a cure is quite small. The only sure fire ways of curing ich are copper treatment or hyposalinity in a hospital tank. I went the copper route with my gramma 18 months ago.
HTH,
Mariner

fio1022
01/29/2005, 02:56 PM
I used Kent Garlic Extreme ,cause when I first got my coral beauty it had ick.It worked like a charm.within two weeks it was totally gone.HTH

Ti
01/29/2005, 02:58 PM
Fresh Garlic.

Fenix
01/29/2005, 04:49 PM
Garlic does not cure or kill the ick it just boosts the fishes immune system so they can fight it better. Just because there isint any spots on your fish doesint mean that the ick is 100% gone. You will have to treat with copper or hyposalinity to kill it 100%.

algonquin
01/29/2005, 05:14 PM
thanks everybody for your help.