PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium background -- stick on, paint, or other?

JFDII
01/29/2005, 01:31 PM
Do you have a background on your tank? Anyone who's used paint, can you still use a magnetic algae scraper or does it scratch the paint? What about stick on and algae scrapers? Final question, can you find 30" high stick on background -- if so do you have a source? Thanks for any input.

stash98
01/29/2005, 01:33 PM
don't paint inside the tank..paint the back on the OUTSIDE with spraypaint..the inside would be very toxic and bad.

i'd spend 2 bucks and just spraypaint the back black.

SCSTEAMROLLER
01/29/2005, 01:37 PM
I was thinking of using a cling on tint that you can get from Walmart. I don't know how good it will work, but I'm going to give it a try. I don't think it will matter as far as a magnet scraper, they usually have a felt backing.

Limpit
01/29/2005, 01:39 PM
I painted the outside back of my tank with Rustolium gloss black. It took about 3 or 4 coats until it looked good from the front. I do not like the "stick on" type backgrounds. After time salt creeps between the background and the glass and when algae builts up on the back glass it is hard to see the background.

phenom5
01/29/2005, 02:46 PM
i use construction paper...seriously, its a lot tougher then you'd think, its available in a wide variety of colors and it's cheap...less then a buck. originally i thought i would use it b/c i could replace it as needed for cheap...now i've had it on my tank for just shy of a year and i have not neede to replace it...and you can't tell its 75 cent construction paper from the front of the tank...

just something to think about.

SugarShiki
01/29/2005, 03:05 PM
How did you adhere the construction paper to the back? I may do something similar until I have to drain my tank to place it on a proper weight-bearing stand...

phenom5
01/29/2005, 03:49 PM
tape...i know really high-tech right...hey, it works. :thumbsup:

glenngreen
01/29/2005, 03:54 PM
I use the plastic roll material that the LFS sells. Smear vaseline generously on the glass, and apply the background. I used a shower squeegee to get the air bubbles out. Works great, looks really great, and no water can get between the background and the glass.....