PDA

View Full Version : Tank moving by a window??

Fishoholic
01/29/2005, 01:01 PM
Since it seems here in the near future I will be changing my tank from CC to a DSB, my wife would like it moved, out to the living room (a clear indication she is finally starting to enjoy my addiction). The only place to put it is in front of a window. The back of the tank is painted black so no excess light would get to it. The widows are well insulated so I really don't have any drafts. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Would it be harmful to the inhabitants of a newly growing reef. Please help.

Limpit
01/29/2005, 01:17 PM
Even though your tank back is painted you would still get sunlight into the tank indirectly. As hard as we all try to keep algae down in our tanks placing a tank by a window will make it all the harder to control algae. If it a southern exposure window it could really be a problem. I had a 29 gallon fish only tank by a big picture window several years ago and had Calurpa growing so fast you could not see ANY of the rocks in the tank. I used to cut almost all of it out about once a month and take it to a LFS for credit. Made a lot of credit with that tank.
You could always have a shade on that window pulled during the day.

Nuhtty
01/29/2005, 02:07 PM
I would line the back of the tank with additional light-blocking material.

What I found works well is a black, thin foam-rubber roll that I bought at Home Depot. It is actually shelf paper for kitchens. It is easily cut to fit around overflows, etc.

JosephineAd
01/29/2005, 03:55 PM
I was reading that sunlight is the best light for corals. That some people move the tank on purpose to get sunlight. I don't know where that thread is but they all said nutrients cause alage not sunlight. That if light is a problem then people wouldn't use MH.

bement14
01/29/2005, 04:20 PM
I have my tank against a window, and I just close the blinds, plus I have a background.

Dubbin1
01/29/2005, 05:54 PM
If you want to deal with hair algae like I am from putting it by the window then I see no problems. You will still get light in the tank from the sides.