PDA

View Full Version : lil white dusters

onecrzyboi4u
01/29/2005, 12:31 PM
you know those tiny lil feather dusters that are a pain.. they cover your walls in ur tank? how in the world do you get rid of them.. i'm tired of scrapin them off every day ...

evolution
01/29/2005, 12:48 PM
The featherduster worms are good to have in your tank both benificially and astheticly (generally). As filter feeders, they consume organisms in the water column. If you really have to scrape them off every day then you certainly have an issue (I've never seen it get that crazy but...).

If you really want to get rid of em though, arrow crabs seem to take a liking to any kind of worm in a tank. Even my cleaner shrimp has a taste for bristle worms. And when I say 'taste', I mean 'hunt and shread'.

Arrow crabs are not the safest thing to have in a reef environment but they should snack on said featherdusters. They will only remove the worm itself and not thier calcareous shelter. So, in effect, you will have to scrape the glass as usual. Perhaps to a slightly lesser degree.

The only thing I hate about the tiny dusters is the neat little holes they remove from my fingers and knuckles when I move rock around. Never have em on my display glass though.

onecrzyboi4u
01/29/2005, 02:22 PM
i mean there like everywhere.. is it a good or bad sign? i don't mind them on the back .. it's just there gettin out of hand.

evolution
01/29/2005, 02:25 PM
I would look at it as a good sign. It means that your ecosystem is flourishing and whatever you are doing, keep doing it! (and scraping the glass!)

I have just never heard of featherdusters proliforating in 'plague' proportions.

onecrzyboi4u
01/29/2005, 02:27 PM
oh.. do they grow.. or stay tiny? i know they won't be feather dusters like i would like to have but.. just askin lol..