PDA

View Full Version : Adding pods to tank...what is best time?

New2Reefing
01/29/2005, 11:44 AM
I'm gonna get a mandarin in about a year, so far my tank has about 20 lbs. of LR, no LS, and i'm DESPERATELY awaiting the visibility in FL. to get better so i can get my TBS 15 gallon package...everyone seems to tell me that you get copepods AND amphipods in those rocks, and there's no way to be sure which ones are going to dominate...so i'm going to order some extra pods, just in case, for whatever reason.

My question: (and i know it's a stupid one) - SHOULD i wait for my LR to come in and let the cycle go before adding pods, or would they not be affected at all by an ammonia spike....thanks

Reefugee
01/29/2005, 12:20 PM
I personally would wait until you get your live rock in. In my tank - I have a lot of pods on my live rock. When the lights are on, they hide in my LR. Do you have a refugium to grow your pods? If yes - then grow your pods in there. If you don't then make sure you create a rock pile where the pods can grow.

New2Reefing
01/29/2005, 12:36 PM
Yes i do have a fuge, should i add some LR to it so the pods will have some place to hang out?

BradL.
01/29/2005, 02:04 PM
I put 2 pieces of live rock in my refugium and in about a week the pods were all over the glass.