PDA

View Full Version : sufficient flow?

Perureef
01/27/2005, 03:26 PM
for current in my 72 gal. bowfront I am running 3 maxijet 1200's, two in opposite corners and one midway on the backwall all the way on the right side, below the overflow. the pump on the upper right has a Hydor attached to it. I addition i have a mag 5 as my return pump, which pumps the water about 4-1/2 feet up. So does this provide sufficent flow? I plan to keep mostly soft and lps coral (and perhaps some easier sps's, considering that i only have 4*54 w T-5's). I was thinking of getting a seio 820 to either replace or supplement the powerhead at the upper left corner, but should i? if so, should replacing the maxijet be enough, or should i keep both of them? How do i know if i have too much flow? Thanks for your time and patience.

LowCel
01/27/2005, 03:45 PM
If you are blowing the fish up against the glass you have too much flow. ;)

Seriously, it sounds like your flow is pretty good for everything but sps. If you are going to add some simple sps (digi's?) then I would add the seio 820 and keep the powerheads you already have. Then just take it from there, kind of see how everything is doing and use your best judgement.

Have you thought about adding a wavemaker to the three maxijets? That would help a lot with random flow.

Stevan
01/27/2005, 06:05 PM
I have a SEIO620 and a MJ1200 w/a Hydor thingie on it in a 30 Gal Cube. I'd say get more flow...I like the SEIO's without the big bulky outter case on them.

Perureef
01/27/2005, 08:09 PM
thanks for the info. I do plan on getting M. Capronicus(?) and possibly a few more less troublesome sps, but other than that it will be mostly soft and lps corals. I dont want to go overboard, however, but i do have a dead zone right in the middle of the tank, a few inches long. maybe the 820 might be too much? whats the consensous out here? I do plan on getting a wavemaker, but not anytime soon (college is expensive)