PDA

View Full Version : Eggcrate, is the metallic coated type OK for the reef?

Nagel
12/16/2001, 06:53 PM
Ok,

I've searched high and low for the white eggcrate to make a "shelf" to place frags on. All my local HD has is "silver metallic" eggcrate. I asked the HD guys if this was just a plastic coating, or was it actually a metal, and they told me it WAS plastic. Problem is, I'm not sure I have 100% faith in them. I DO NOT want to introduce a shelf to my thriving tank, only to have that very shelf destroy my tank.

Has ANYONE used the metallic looking eggcrate in their reef? Is it safe?

My local Home Depot DOES NOT carry the white stuff, and the metallic stuff isn't even in their system (I know, I bought one piece today, well, tried to buy it, when no price check came back they actually told me to just take it and not worry about it.)

So, it's free, and I have a 4X2 sheet of it, just need to know, IS IT SAFE? If not, I can always use it for other projects, but I REALLY need a shelf in my tank right about now. Space is at a premium, and that shelf would help me out for the next month till the 75 is ready to move some softies to.

Any ideas?

DNA
12/16/2001, 07:00 PM
I would NOT use that. I've not idea what the coating is, but I don't think it's safe.

Theo
12/16/2001, 07:02 PM
Ummm.....No. You don't know what the finish is composed of. It must at least some metal component and well that's just not healthy. I deal with alot of finishes in my line of work and even metal finish paint had metal in it. DON'T DO IT!!

Nagel
12/16/2001, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!

Ok, so the search goes on for the white stuff. Glad I got this for free :) Still other projects around the house that I can use it for.

Once again, thanks!!!!

ATLANTIS
12/16/2001, 07:52 PM
Eric,

This is the price you pay for living in the sticks!!!! ;)

Every HD I have ever been in sells the white eggcrate...

You just might have to jump on your tractor and make a city run :)

Nagel
12/16/2001, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ATLANTIS
This is the price you pay for living in the sticks!!!! ;)

Hey, Home Depot isn't in the sticks, its in Totowa, right near Wayne (a LARGE suburban area up here). (Willowbrook mall, Wayne Hills Mall, etc :)

Just must be our level of sophistication up here, more people want the shiny stuff :D

Besides, the tractor isn't suited for winter yet, still need to put a plow and chains on it :p