PDA

View Full Version : AlgaeGuy's new 225g system

thetedinator
01/24/2005, 11:10 PM
Scott Fellman (algaeGuy) is in the process of setting up his new 225g system. I agreed to upload some pictures and get this thread going. It's Scott responsibility to answer any questions!!

Scott's old tank was a 150 (72x24x20). The new tank is 225 gallons, and measures 72x30x24. Sump is going to be 36x26x20 (about 81 gallons). The stand is a custom Con Magallon job, that you can probably park a 747 on top of! It is made of steel and has a wood skin that matches the flooring in Scott's living room.

The system pump will be a Sequence Dart. The plumbing is 2", with durso-type standpipes in the overflow. A manifold will gravity feed the equipment.

Here's a picture of the tank when we picked it up.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/scott_001_cmprssd.jpg

Here's Scott trying the tank on for size!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/scott_005_cmprssd.jpg

I will upload photos of Scott's stand, etc later.

cya,

Ted

thetedinator
01/26/2005, 10:47 AM
Hey guys! Someone send me the pictures or drawings of the stand and I'll upload them!

cya,

Ted

birdman204
01/26/2005, 05:27 PM
I was hoping for more :D

thetedinator
01/26/2005, 06:06 PM
I'm only the guy who uploads the files!!

I know that the custom stand is almost complete and we should have pictures of that shortly.

cya,

Ted

algaeguy
01/26/2005, 10:54 PM
Yep...Pics will be coming soon...

Looking forward to sharing some of the neat things that we hope to do with the plumbing. Gravity feeding and interesting placement of Tunze Streams will be the real mechanical highlights of this tank.

Dave B (o2manyfish) has some amazing ideas that we'll be sure to document as they happen...

BTW- tedinator's tank is gonna be one of the SICKEST tanks in the country when it's up and running...An amazing tank with some really cool ideas!

Stay tuned for more!

Scott

Detritivore
01/26/2005, 11:35 PM
wow, thats very nice!!!cant wait to see more!

algaeguy
01/26/2005, 11:54 PM
We'll be sure to document it every step of the way!

Scott

reefboy1
01/27/2005, 02:56 AM
I'd really like to hear your idea's for hiding your Streams. I'm also in the design stages of a 350gal and am looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Art

algaeguy
01/27/2005, 09:51 AM
Hi Art...

We are working out way to hide them in sections of very wide diameter PVC within rockwork, so that they'll be accessible and removable from the top, without having to dismantle the entire aquascape. The fully open top of this tank is new for me, and I'm really looking forward to the excellent access!

Assembly is going to get underway within the next two weeks, and we'll be sure to post photos of this stuff as we go!

Scott

thetedinator
01/27/2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by algaeguy
Hi Art...

We are working out way to hide them in sections of very wide diameter PVC within rockwork, so that they'll be accessible and removable from the top, without having to dismantle the entire aquascape. The fully open top of this tank is new for me, and I'm really looking forward to the excellent access!

Assembly is going to get underway within the next two weeks, and we'll be sure to post photos of this stuff as we go!

Scott

We're working Scott's tank first so he gets to be the "guinea pig" for hiding the streams!

cya,

Ted

reefboy1
01/27/2005, 12:52 PM
Scott and Ted,

Well I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you plan to do with the PVC. How will you hide the power cord? Are your plans to put a big pipe in vertically and cut a port for the Tunze nozzle into the side of the PVC?

Thanks,

Art

thetedinator
01/27/2005, 10:22 PM
Pictures of Scott's stand still under construction.

Stand drawing
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/stand2.jpg

Getting skinned
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/stand_4411_sm.jpg

Frame
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/stand_4412_sm.jpg

cya,

Ted

Detritivore
01/27/2005, 11:02 PM
nice job on the pics, ted
what is the stand made of?

algaeguy
01/28/2005, 12:37 AM
The stand is constructed of steel, with a skin of birch. The front section, which will have two cabinet-type doors, will be completely removable, giving full access to the inside, with no obstructions- something I've been dreaming of for years!
Con is building a nifty 4" shelf all along the inside of the stand to give me a nice place to put the light ballasts, Tunze drivers, and the 7095 Multicontroller (if the darned thing ever gets here!).

Inside will be a manifold to gravity feed my Deltec 702 skimmer, fluidized Ca reactor, and sump. Hope to use Sir Isaac Newton to do a lot of the work!

reefboy- You're kind of on the right track...I'm visualizing wide PVC with a cutout to place the Stream in. The rock will surround the PVC, and the electrical cord will go right up the pipe. Since the top of the tank will be fully open, you won't see any cords in the tank...Still some details to work out, but that's the general idea...I promise that we'll get photos up as things start moving on this..

The canopy will match, of course, and will have some nice ventilation features. Con was thinking about a "squirrel cage fan" instead of the traditional side mounted fans, but I'm not sure how that would work...Another thing to work on...Anyone used on of these fans over a reef?

Ted- I picked up my 702 skimmer today from o2manyfish...I was surprised at how compact this beast really is...Considering the capacity rating that it has, it packs quite a punch into a relatively small size...Can't wait to see it work! IMO, a great skimmer is the best investment you can make for a reef tank!

We'll keep the pics coming...Hopefully, things will start to move a bit quicker in the next week or two!

You'll find that my system is not super high tech, but it's gonna use a lot of little things that simple guys like me dream of to make our reefkeeping lives easier...I hope that we can all learn together as we go!

Scott

cmagallon
01/28/2005, 08:08 AM
Scott, is that the mini-ted tank. LOL J/K

Sweet tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

algaeguy
01/28/2005, 09:47 AM
Yep! When my tank grows up, it wants to be Ted's!

Scott

sidewinder770
01/28/2005, 10:00 AM
Nice looking stand. I am curious- will any of the steel be exposed? I would be concerned about rusting . I assume you plan to paint it or powdercoat it but even the parts of steel behind the wood would need something on them as the tiniest spot unpainted will rust. I'm sure you have a plan for it but I just thought I'd ask.

Keep the pics coming.

algaeguy
01/28/2005, 11:06 AM
Good questions, sidewinder. A very important consideration for anyone using this material for a stand!

The only exposed steel will be on the inside of the stand.

Con (the builder) and I discussed this at length. In the end, he felt that powder coating was a bit overkill for this project. Rather, all of the steel (exposed and otherwise) is being painted with marine-grade paint throughout. The inside wood is going to be sealed and painted, too. I want this stand to out-live me!

I'll keep the pics coming! Thanks for the interest!

Scott

sidewinder770
01/28/2005, 11:38 AM
I hear ya on the stand. I think steel is the way to go. I am currently putting together my new tank and will be going steel for the stand and the canopy. Not only that but once you get to this size, steel doesn't cost that much more than wood, and like you said- it will last forever as long as you coat it with something. I have a buddy that does powdercoating for a living so I just have to give him a case of beer and I'm all set. :D

I have heard that even retail wise powdercoating isn't all that expensive (probably $100-$150 on that size stand).

I'm not sure what I am going to do my stand "skin" out of just yet.

I just got the new tank a few days ago and hopefully will have the stand/canopy done in the next few weeks.

Your stand looks great though- I'm anxious to see what the finished product looks like.

algaeguy
01/28/2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks, sidewinder!

I think that the birch looks really nice...I really never thought of using it, but it really seems like good stuff...

You're right about the use of steel in stands...It might be something that we see more of in larger tanks. Really lets you do some cool stuff that might be more difficult to accomplish in wood only. You won't regret using it.

Hopefully, we'll have some pics up soon showing the removable front!

Scott

Fliger
01/28/2005, 09:34 PM
POWDER COAT, POWDER COAT, POWDER COAT!

Trust me on this one. ;-)

Actually - I don't know anything about painting it with marine grade - but do whatever is stronger. I tried the paint thing, it didn't work. But it wasn't marine grade. Saltwater went right through it.

Sidewinder, I did mine at Arizona Powder Coat - very nice guys. My stand is 84x36x36 and it was about $90 - I had them rush it and paid an extra $30 or so.

edgerat
01/29/2005, 12:24 AM
FWIW I just had my stand powdercoated and it cost me 60 bux to have it done. The trick is to be patient with the PC company and just let them sneak your stand in when they are doing a bunch of other stuff in the same color. That way you get sort of a bulk deal. We also built my stand in two pieces so it can be moved by a man and a woman or two wimpy men ;) Then it just bolts together in the center. Either way powdercoating really is cheap insurance. 72.5x24.5x36

http://www.planetsand.com/memberphotos/274606-DSC00230.JPG

Big E
01/29/2005, 06:17 AM
Couple of dumb questions........

How does the birch wood skin attach to the metal stand?

Since the tank sits on the metal stand edge to edge, the witdh of the wood skin will extend wider than the tank/stand? Are you going to put some kind of molding or edge facing around there to give it a more finished look?

algaeguy
01/29/2005, 08:28 AM
Hi Ed:

Not dumb questions at all...

I believe that the skin will be "tech screwed" into the frame from the inside, so that no screws will be visible. The removable parts of the facing will have very strong clamps to facilitate easy removal and replacement. We'll get photos up ASAP to illustrate this...

edgerat- cool idea with the two piece stand!

There will be a molding around the tank to give the stand a more finished look...

The best part about this project is that not only will the stand be built to my fish-geek specifications, but it will satisfy the much more demanding aesthetic requirements of my significant other!

I'm forunate that the guy (cmagallon here on RC) who is doing the stand is not only a master builder, but a reefer as well, who understands the geeky needs of people like me! He's done stands for the Steinhart Aquarium and a number of other local LA reefers with large systems, so he really knows his stuff!I've given him more-or-less free reign to innovate on assembly techniques, and it really worked well so far! Kinda like working with a really good architect and contractor when building your home!

Con has been great about taking my ideas and figuring out ways to make them work...Or shooting them down if they don't make sense! (and believe me, enough of 'em didn't make sense!). Since it's still a work in progress, I really enjoy hearing everyone's feedback...Thanks!

Scott

Konadog
01/30/2005, 02:05 AM
Scott, yours and Ted's tanks are just incredible. When I hit the lotto I might be able to come close to owing a tank like you guys!

algaeguy
01/30/2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Ken!

Actually, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I've been accumulating equipment for months...And selling all of my old stuff to help finance this project...Fortunately, I was able to stay within my parameters so far. Of course, now I have to think about populating my tank! LOL ...Mo' money!

And, you really cannot put a price on the help that guys like tedinator, o2manyfish, etc. bring to the table...without them, it would be a lot harder to accomplish stuff!

BTW, Ken- how do you like the 14k Phoenix bulbs?I orderd some for this system....

See ya!

Scott

Konadog
01/30/2005, 11:14 AM
I've been collecting equipment that way also, but just can't seem to get up to the tank yet.
I couldn't tell you about the AC (not Phoenix) bulbs yet, I have ballast problems (that's another story :( ) I need to talk to Dave again.

moonpod
01/31/2005, 12:37 AM
Man, all these nice new tanks going up.....it makes me jones to setup another one...oh yeah, I gotta either move or remodel first....damn!

cali_reef
01/31/2005, 10:34 AM
Damm that is going to be a nice system, hope to see it in person some day.

Chuck, talk the wife into letting you use that back room:lol: Natural sunlight and you don’t have to worry about the noise and leaks in the house.

moonpod
01/31/2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, the problem is then I hang out back there and noone sees me. "Honey can you help with the kids? Honey??? What the!%#$ where are you!!"

cmagallon
02/26/2005, 05:32 PM
some old pix of Scott's stand before I started to seal and sand.
should be home by the end of next week along with Ted's stand too. LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/cmagallon/IMG_4443.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/cmagallon/IMG_4445.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/cmagallon/IMG_4442.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/cmagallon/IMG_4444.jpg

buggle
02/26/2005, 05:46 PM
Great work so far!! Can you give me some details on how to skin the stand? I am planning on getting a 225, very similar to your dimensions, will follow your progress closely! I will be using a metal stand as well but haven't been able to come up with a way to attach the skin. Con, what size metal are you using and do you plan on having any sort of support for the front? I am having an engineer/fabricator build my stand and would love to have it built without support but am worried about all the weight. Keep the updates coming!!!

algaeguy
02/26/2005, 07:28 PM
I'll tell ya one thing...

The stand is coming out even better than I expected that it would! Con really does phenomenal work. When you see the real "functionality" of this stand, with the removable front panel, you'll definitely want to consider this type of design on your next system. The access to the sump and equipment will be amazing!

It solves one of my longstanding frustrations with all of my previous tanks...Ease while working in the system.

Scott F.

thetedinator
02/26/2005, 07:36 PM
Scott,

Looking good. I guess we know what you'll be doing next weekend. Let me know when I come over to help.

cya,

Ted

Fliger
02/26/2005, 08:37 PM
Scott - this is really gonna blow your old tank away! Con's work is awesome, if I didn't have a timeline I would hire him myself.

Originally posted by buggle
Great work so far!! Can you give me some details on how to skin the stand? I am planning on getting a 225, very similar to your dimensions, will follow your progress closely! I will be using a metal stand as well but haven't been able to come up with a way to attach the skin. Con, what size metal are you using and do you plan on having any sort of support for the front? I am having an engineer/fabricator build my stand and would love to have it built without support but am worried about all the weight. Keep the updates coming!!!

Sounds like someone must be finishing is residency soon. ;)

You should really check out Keith - he built mine and reefmaiden's and did an awesome job. Both Erin and I will be attaching skins in the next couple months or so, you should take a trip to the eastside and check them out.

algaeguy
02/26/2005, 11:40 PM
Fliger...

You're so right! It's one of those things where I told myself "Next time I'm gonna do this right!"

And I think that I'm on the ight track so far...Trying to learn from all of my past mistakes...And, man I've made quite a few!

Next time you're in LA, you'll have a few more tanks to check out!

Scott

algaeguy
02/26/2005, 11:40 PM
Fliger...

You're so right! It's one of those things where I told myself "Next time I'm gonna do this right!"

And I think that I'm on the right track so far...Trying to learn from all of my past mistakes...And, man I've made quite a few!

Scott

algaeguy
02/26/2005, 11:41 PM
Fliger...

And I think that I'm on the right track so far...Trying to learn from all of my past mistakes...And, man I've made quite a few!

Scott

DerekW
02/27/2005, 12:27 PM
Hey algaeguy!!....Hit the submit button again!!

:) LOL....Just razzin' ya.

algaeguy
02/27/2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah...Way too excited! :)

On the other hand, I can just say that I believe in triple redundancy on everything...Hey- that means I can have two more tanks!

Scott
Scott
Scott

David P
02/27/2005, 11:31 PM
Lookin good Scott! Now I know why Nadine just bought a new bike instead of a used one.

Con, man your stands are looking good! One day I gotta get you back out here and have you take a look at my stand and see if you can help me skin it. I thought I had it all figured out but it didnt work...

algaeguy
02/28/2005, 09:51 AM
This tank is my "mid-life crisis" toy!

Other guys want a convertible, home theater, or hair implants...Not me- I'm easy to please.

For me- nothing that a couple of new surfboards and a new tank haven't fixed, LOL

Scott

thetedinator
03/07/2005, 02:17 AM
It's been awhile but it's been worth the wait! Scott's custom stand was delivered this evening. It is amazing. Here a few pictures.

Stand being positioned. Notice the front is completely open.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/Stand-04_sm.jpg

Place the 81g combo sump and refugium in place and then put the front facade in place. The facade comes completely off.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/Stand-05_sm.jpg

Locking the facade in place.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/Stand-06_sm.jpg

Doors leaning against the front waiting for the hardward to be installed.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/Stand-07_sm.jpg

More pictures to come during the week!

cya,

Ted

algaeguy
03/07/2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting the pics, Ted!

I was so geeked out about having the stand that I wanted to sleep in there last night...!

Like I've said all along, Con does amazing work and it was well worth the wait!

Now, the real fun part begins!

Scott F.

moonpod
03/07/2005, 10:43 AM
Scott, that thing looks SWEET....

Where's the plumbing going? It looks like you put it right up against the wall and I didn't see any holes in the top of the stand.....

cali_reef
03/07/2005, 11:54 AM
Scott,

I see a scratch on the floor, you are soooo dead.. :lol:

What did you decided on using for the water flow\circulation? I suggest looking at Penductors, I am using two right now and they are the best $50 bucks I spend on my tank.

Nice stuff so far, let’s see more :).

moonpod
03/07/2005, 12:16 PM
If you want eductors I have several 3/4" that I am not using.

algaeguy
03/07/2005, 05:28 PM
Hey Chuck:

Con really did a phenominal job...Furniture quality all the way. Working in this stand is gonna be SO easy! The 2" Durso standpipes are going down through the top of the stand.. There will be a manifold connecting to the Deltec 702, calcium reactor, and Rowaphos reactor. Should be pretty cool if it works...LOL Dave B. is my "chief engineer", and Ted is the "VP" of this project so I KNOW it will work!(Right, guys?)

Pierce- I just had the hardwood re-finished (that was part of the deal in getting this new tank!). You're right, any scratch that shows up now was definitely caused by me!

I'm using 4 Tunze Streams (2 6100 and 2 6200) witha 7095 Controller (just got it Friday after a 4 month wait!). The main system pump is a Sequnce Dart. Those eductors sound pretty cool.

Hopefully, if everything goes well, we're setting the beast up starting on Friday.

I'll keep you posted!

Scott

moonpod
03/07/2005, 05:30 PM
AHHH, so there ARE holes in the top of the stand? EXCELLENT. Giving me ALL sorts of ideas for my next tank....

Johnsteph10
03/07/2005, 09:55 PM
Beauty-ful.

thetedinator
03/20/2005, 03:26 PM
Come on Scott!! Have Nadine take some pictures and email them to me so I can post them!!

Lostmind
03/20/2005, 04:15 PM
yes, more pics pls :)

thetedinator
03/20/2005, 09:04 PM
All,

Here are some pictures from last weekend's work on Scott's tank.

Squeezing everything under the stand
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/Tank004-sm.jpg

Plumbing the Sequence Dart into the sump
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/Tank006-sm.jpg

Taming the electrical wiring
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator/algaeGuys240/Tank007-sm.jpg

cya,

Ted

moonpod
03/20/2005, 09:18 PM
Nice, but that seems to be a bit of a rinky dink chiller, that or the perspective is all wrong...how are you going to vent it?

David P
03/20/2005, 10:19 PM
I think/hope its just the camera angle. The stand looks to be about 2 feet high, and that high $ Deltec looks smaller than my 6-1. Then again as expensive and high tech as they are, maybe they are smaller than my ER!

Whats the T for coming off of the pump and why 2 ball valves in series?

algaeguy
03/20/2005, 10:37 PM
HI Chuck...The chiller is a 1/3 HP. The perspective (and my LOUSY) photography skills are making it look pretty tiny! The stand is pretty roomy!

Dave B. and I have been going back and forth about having the chiller in the stand..We were thinking of having Con build a sort of "exhaust shroud" venting the chiller exhaust out the side. I'm leaning towards not having the chiller in the stand, but we put it in their just to see how everything would fit.

The stand is 30" high. When it's fully assembled, you can't tell that it has a steel "skeleton". Con did a super job.

The ball valves are for the gravity feed manifold that we are building.

The Deltec is pretty good sized, as Chuck can attest, but fits very nicely in there. It's rated for over 400 gallons, so I expect good things from it.

The doors and removable door fram are not shown in the pic...I'll get one in their soon.

Also, for perspective, the picture that shows the Tunze drivers and transformers is the underside of the top of the stand. We had it flipped upside down so that we could figure out where all of the stuff will be secured. My goal is to have as few dangling wires as possible, with everything neatly secured to the underside of the top, and hopefully the finished product will reflect that.

Next will come the gravity feed manifold and plumbing to the Ca Reactor, chiller, skimmer, and fluidized reactor.

Hope to be up and running by next weekend...

Thanks Ted, for posting pics!

Scott

Fliger
03/20/2005, 11:11 PM
Wow, that is amazing. What an array of awesome equipment! I have to come by and check it out. Get her running by 4/29 and I'll pay admission to come see it! (I'll be in LA that weekend)

Is that a Deltec fluidized reactor? I should be getting mine this week.

Also - is that carpet? It will dampen the noise, but aren't you concerned that it will trap water/humidity? Seems like a great idea (that I might copy) but I'd be worried that it will make the inside of the stand muggy.

I love the way he wrapped the steel stand. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.

algaeguy
03/20/2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Fliger!

It will be more amazing if we get everything to work right! It's been a while since of set up a system from scratch, and there are som many details and concepts that I've had to learn and re-learn. I guess the hard part is trying to get it right the first time...Seems like no matter how well you plan, it never happens.

That is a Deltec fluidized reactor. I chose it over the PhosBan one because I liked the "bayonet" fitting at the top, which makes loading media a snap..

Yep- that is indoor/outdoor carpet, treated with Scotchguard. Really in their to protect my hardwood floor! You brought up a good point about spillage and humidity. One of the things that I hope to be building is an acrylic "tray" that fits under the equipment, with a small "lip" all around to catch any spills, and can slide out with all of the equipment, as needed....That's the advantage of the open front; I'll be able to do crazy stuff like that...

You're welcome any time! In fact, by 4/29 I think that tedinator's awesome semi-cube will be up and running, too. Ted and I have been bouncing around lots of ideas on our systems as we set them up, and since mine is going up first, he'll have the advantage of seeing all of the screw-ups that we make with mine!

The next big thing is working on ways to mount/hide the Tunzes. I was fortunate to get some of the magnets, but I'm not entirely sure how I will be utilizing them yet. They are pretty awesome, though! You should see the collection of different plastic containers and such that I've purchased from local "99 cent" type stores, to use in trying to anchor and hide the Streams in the rockwork. I found some great containers; just need to figure out how build the rock work around them! I want to make all 4 of the Streams completely accessible and removable without dismantling the aquascape...A great thought, but it's turning into quite a challenge...We'll see how it goes!

Scott

moonpod
03/20/2005, 11:33 PM
That's 1/3rd? Man, it looks tiny in that pix!

algaeguy
03/20/2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah, but not in my electric bill! LOL

hdtvguy
03/21/2005, 02:08 AM
Nice work so far. :D

cali_reef
03/21/2005, 10:41 AM
Scott,

Change that outlet next to you sequence pump (showing in the picture) to a GFCI if you haven’t done so.

Nice looking stuff so far. I guess Dave converted you into a Euro product user:lol:, Nadine should be getting a BMW or Ducati to match.

Chuck,

I think the skimmer is too big, not the chiller being small.

CPT. MURPHY
03/22/2005, 02:49 AM
looking good :)

algaeguy
03/22/2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks, guys!

Thanks for the tip on the GFI, Pierce. Already got it, just wasn't installed yet. So many details!

More pics to come this week as assembly really gets underway!

Scott

cali_reef
03/22/2005, 09:53 AM
Scott,

I don't know how you can let the tank sit in your living for so long without water. I would have had a few panic attacks from the excitement while waiting or maybe Hagan would have chow up one of the corners of the tank:lol:.

Tell Con to hurry so you can fill that baby up with water already.

Fliger
03/22/2005, 01:35 PM
I'm doing the same thing with the acrylic, building a basin with a lip. Should be easy and cheap. I had an InterAmerican tank where I had them build me a glass basin into the steel stand & was awesome for spills and to keep everything looking nice.

You'll love the magnets. I have all my Tunzes on them. Until you figure out how you want to mount the Streams, you can move them around and find your best flow patterns. Hopefully you have a 7095 MC.

I'm pretty stoked to see both of your tanks. They will be awesome set-ups.

algaeguy
03/22/2005, 10:39 PM
I tell ya, Pierce, it's killing me! I'm a total fruitcake, staring at my components in the stand, or looking at my collection of plastic milkcartons and eggcrate (which are the "skeleton" of my future aquascape...). I have been worrying about my two little dogs using my stand as a chew toy, but they are (fortunately) out of the chewing phase!

Just waiting on my canopy now. But, most important, Deltec owes me a couple of valves for my skimmer, which weren't included in the box! Should have 'em by Friday!

Fliger, I'm really looking forward to that acrylic "spill tray"! I'm hoping that I never need it, though!

I was lucky to get two of the 6200 magnets. I was on the waiting list for them even before I thought of doing this tank! It took 4 months, but I'm glad I have 'em! I received my 7095 controller two weeks ago, after being on the waiting list at Premium Aquatics since October! We tested it out on tedinator's tank a couple of weeks back, and it is an awesome toy!

I'm curious to see how the streams will work with my future aquascape, and I've been using the down time to attempt to decide wherre to place them. I've been working on tons of ways to hide them, but a lot of it will depend on how I build the aquascape! All part of the fun, I guess!

Scott

Reef Addict II
03/23/2005, 10:51 AM
Very nice work Scott :)

Keep the pics coming

Steve

Fliger
03/23/2005, 12:30 PM
Hey - just a quick question on the height. I really like my stand at 36" - I always felt like you have to look down when it's at 30". Why did you go that short? Just mentioning it because it would be really easy to raise it at this point. Just some well leveled 2x4 or 4x6 beams and a matching kickboard.

It can be a PITA sometimes to get in since I'm only 5'8", but its worth it since I spend more time looking at my tank than tinkering with it.

algaeguy
03/24/2005, 01:35 AM
Good question!

I really agonized about it...However, above the tank, there is a section of my ceiling that is lower than the rest of the room. If I went 36" on the stand (which I did consider), then I'd have a 24" tall tank, and a 12" canopy, which would put me too close to the low part of the ceiling, especially when the canopy is open. I thought about leaving off the canopy and going with a Geismann or Aquaspacelight fixture hanging from the ceiling, but my significant other shot the idea down!

So, it was more of a utility thing (and a domestic tranaquility thing!)than anything else!

BTW, I fired up all of my Phoenix 14K bulbs tonight in my RO III's. They are really nice bulbs! I'll give them a whirl, but if I don't like 'em, I can always fall back on my fave Aqualine 10ks'...

Hope to have more pics this weekend!

Scott

Konadog
03/24/2005, 07:35 AM
Scott, I finally fired up my AC 14k's and really like them. They start out blue, but after a week or so, they really whiten up. I think you'll like the Phoenix 14k's.

algaeguy
03/24/2005, 09:18 AM
Cool, Ken!

They did look pretty blue upon initial fire up, but not nearly as blue as the 20k's that I've used before.

What ballasts are you running 'em on?

Iwas gonna use magnetics, but in the end, I decided to stick with Ice Cap. Despite the fact that they underdrive some bulbs, I really appreciate the energy efficiency and reliability that I've experienced with them in the past.

Scott

Konadog
03/24/2005, 08:42 PM
Scott,

I had an emergency with my lighting about 6 weeks ago and went with the BlueWave VII HQI dual ballast. I meet Greg of ReefGeek's and was up and running that day. So far I really like it.

thetedinator
03/28/2005, 10:17 AM
All,

There is SW in Scott's tank! I was there. I saw it. There is even some LR in the tank and the skimmer is pulling gunk.

Now, if Scott would only post some pictures!!! LOL.

Scott, some simplified instructions! Take a picture, download the picture from the camera to your computer, use irfanview or something to shrink the picture to an appropriate size (both bytes and viewing dimension), upload the picture to Photobucket.com or RC or ???, view the image in a browser, copy the URL, come to this thread, click "Post Reply", click the button labled "IMG", paste the URL into the box, click "Submit Reply", bask in the glow of posting your 1st picture to RC!

Congratulations on the arrival of your new system!! It is awesome!

cya,

Ted

sidewinder770
03/28/2005, 11:01 AM
Ted- You forgot to add this to the end of your instructions- "repeat every so often or as directed". :) Can't wait to see some pics of it up and running!

Reef Addict II
03/28/2005, 11:09 AM
Yes pics pics :D :D

My system will not be up and running for 3 1/2 weeks and I need a fix hehehe

Steve

algaeguy
03/28/2005, 06:21 PM
Hi Guys!

Yep- I promise to get some picks up in the next day or two!

The tank came out great! Gravity feeding is amazing. We supplied the skimmer, calcium reactor, fluidized reactor and chiller with one Sequnce Dart pump, and the amount of current in the tank (even without the 4 Tunzes installed yet) is amazing! Power to spare...In fact, o2manyfish suggested installing another fluidized reactor. Gravity provides that much raw power. If anyone is thinking of doing this, you really will want to. It's amazing.

No aquascaping yet. Just put some of the rocks in to displace water. Canopy to be deliverred this week, so I can start lighting the darned thing! Streams have yet to be installed, either. That's this week's project!

BTW, the pump is absolutely silent, and produces very little heat.

Another thing that I learned is to thouroughly rinse Rowaphos if you're gonna run it fluidized. I did this per Doug at Deltec's suggestion, and it took about 2.5- 3 gallons of RO water to thoroughly rinse clean in the reactor. You cannot believe the red effluent this stuff produced when rinsed!

It's also great to have friends like tedinator and o2manyfish to help in projects like this. They have probably forgot more about complex plumbing concepts than I'll ever know! Sometimes, it was best to just watch Dave work and just get out of the way...The guy is a brilliant reef plumber! Ted was also an invaluable resource for me...Wait until his tank is on line! It will be amazing!

I promise to fumble my way through tommorow and have some pics up!

Thanks for all of the kind words!

Scott

Detritivore
03/28/2005, 06:26 PM
how do you plan on hiding the tunze? have you figured out a good way yet?

reefboy1
03/28/2005, 07:30 PM
Scott,

Yep - I'm waiting for your ideas on the Tunzes as well :)

By "Gravity feeding" the skimmer and reactors, do you mean that you're feeding them from one of the drains? If so, are you concerned about any restrictions they may cause?

Thanks for all the great info.

Art

algaeguy
03/30/2005, 01:15 AM
Hi everyone!

Was working late tonight with o2manyfish to get the tank silent! We succeeded beyond any expections I could have had! Absolutely silent overflow with a modified Durso, using a 4" PVC over my 2" standpipe. Amazing!

I promise to get pics uploaded ASAP. Since it will be my first time uploading pics, I want to get an earlier start!

Art- that's exactly what I mean. The system has a 2" standpipe feeding the manifold, which runs the length of the tank. There has been absolutely no restriction on the flow. The feed runs everything, with power to spare. In fact, there is so much extra flow that I may bring on another fluidized reactor at some point.

I'll be posting pics of my ideas for hiding the Streams as soon as I get the aquascaping in. I think that they will work pretty well. A tip: You'd be surprised at all of the cool plastic boxes and containers at those discount-type stores that can filt a Stream, giving you the ability to hide it under rocks and simply lift out the whole assembly for maintenance without dissassembling the whole rockscape!

I'll keep everyone up to date! Thanks for the interest!

Scott

cali_reef
03/30/2005, 01:36 AM
Scott, are you feeding all the water from the drain in to the varies "accessories"? Do you have a portion of that water going directly to the sump without any restrictions?

PICTURES!! PICTURES!! PICTURES!! WE WANT PICTURES!!

algaeguy
03/30/2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Pierce:

Yep- a BIG portion of the water goes right to the sump without any restrictions. In fact, Dave and I spent an hour or so working on ways to quiet the crashing noise last night. It worked out very well!

I'm really thrilled with the whole gravity feed concept!

I promise to get pictures up ASAP!

Scott

Project Reef
04/07/2005, 07:22 AM
Hurry up Scott!!!!!!!

willra
04/07/2005, 10:34 AM
Haha....."I promise.....I promise"

Adam
04/07/2005, 12:55 PM
Scott,

Looking good! I can't wait to see pics with water! The stand is gorgeous. Kudos to the builder.

A suggestion for the chiller... Since you don't have a basement or a doorway free path to the outdoors, what about your attic? You could run relatively small diameter flexible tubing up through the wall. Head pressure is not an issue since the loop will be closed.

All of the noise and heat would go into that space. The only caveat is how hot it might get up there on a sunny LA afternoon in August.

Too bad you probably shouldn't qualify for Aquatic Feature of the Month in Conscientious Aquarist magazine!

Adam

Konadog
04/07/2005, 07:10 PM
I promise to get pictures up ASAP!

Scott Still waiting!!!

Scott, Dave has some great ideas on how to save $$ on energy. His gravity ideas are great, no need for multiple pumps.

algaeguy
04/08/2005, 09:06 PM
Hey Adam!

Yep- my money-pit is underway...I'm a bit hesitant about the chiller location, but the stand is well-vented and "fanned", so I'll give it a try for now...But we'll see about moving it. I entertained some exotic ideas about moving it to different locations, but a certain Hawaiian girl whom I love dearly and pays half of the mortgage did not really fancy the idea of the chiller in the attic...LOL

AFOTM...Reminds, me- time to get to work on the magazine!

Ken- you're right- when I think that the whole smack is powwered by one pump, I'm thrilled. Of course, the 4 Tunze Streams really help with the circulation.

I musty confess, though, that hiding the Streams was easier in theory than it is in practice! My current aquascape is more of a shelf type setup, and it doesn't lend itself to hiding them in the rockwork. It's cool to use the magnets to hide them behind the rock work, but again- a lot trickier than I thought! It's really gonna be about making the rockwork both creative and functional...Something that I will really have to refine!

On the brighter side, I did get my Deltec calcium reactor up and running last night. Pretty easy, once you understand the instructions (and it was a LOT easier when I had to dissassemble it a couple of times to rinse the media, which I neglected to do initially)! I think it will be very efficient. Of course, I need some coral to utilize it now!

Lighting canopy is being stained and sealed, and my lights should go up by early next week, then things finally get SERIOUS!

I'm dying with the picture posting thing...I just don't get it...yet...I swear that I will....LOL! Is there a thread somewhere with a step-by-step for "challenged" dorks like me?

Thanks everyone for putting up with my lack of pics!

Scott

Fliger
04/08/2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone for putting up with my lack of pics!

Scott

You say that like we're "ok" with it. We're all entirely frustrated with you and going to form an angry mob if you don't get them up soon! :lol: Like I'm one to talk.

Man I'm gonna be out there at the end of the month before you get any pix up!

Adam
04/09/2005, 11:51 AM
Scott,

Ahhh... yes. The SOAP principal (Significant Other Approval and Permission). The exact reason why my 375 will be in the basement!

As for hiding the Tunzes... What about making DIY cement/oyster shell covers for them? You could slightly pad the pumps with thin styrofoam paper, cover them in a plastic bag and make a little shell around the whole thing.

And, yes... the magazine. As far as I know, we only have a couple of things "on the desk". I will talk to you soon and we can get started.

Adam

Detritivore
04/09/2005, 07:09 PM
hi scott, how do you like the steel stand? im thinking about doing a setup very similar with yours, except with a 180gal instead of a 225gal. do you have any pics of the 702? i love tha steel bracing...how many gph can your overflow handle?

algaeguy
04/10/2005, 01:11 AM
Hi Adam:

Great idea with the self-made rock...A really good idea...I'm trying to play with some of my slab pieces and a masonry bit to see if I can fashion nsomething like that...It's funny, even with my lofty goal of hiding all of the Streams, my favorite position for them is on the side panel of the tank towards the rear...it enables me to put current right over the reef structure...Not exactly hidden, but practical nonetheless...Still a work in progress! Next decision-t he sand bed! Probably will try a small sprinkling of sand...Even though bare bottom gives me the ability to have wicked current, I just am not sold on the aesthetics....

jonah:

I LOVE the steel stand...It enabled us to create a very open, easily accessible working environment. The fully-removable front facade will facilitate this well! This thing is STRONG, too! Steel stands really let you create unusual configurations for both utility and aesthetics...I'm enjoying the look of a conventional stand with the features of a custom one...Well worth it, IMO!

I'm working on pics as we speak...tedinator was coaching me through and I'm pretty sure that we'll finally have pics up tommorrow! The 702 is a wonderful skimmer...amazingly productive...I have very little bioload in there right now, and the skimmer is taking out some of the most foul-smelling stuff imaginable! Not cheap at all, but a fantastic piece of equipment!

The overflow is easily handling around 2,000 gph, and very quietly! We ordered the tank with a pretty large skimmer box, in order to accomodate three 2" standpipes, only one of which is actually being used at this point!

Catch you soon!

Scott

algaeguy
04/10/2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys:

If this works...It should be the first in the series of shots of the tank under construction!

This is the sump placement, return line from the skimmer, and the beginning of the gravity feed manifold. Hope this is visible to everyone, and I can get the rest of the pics up today!

Scott

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/10770New_tanks_for_ted_169.jpg

thetedinator
04/10/2005, 11:56 AM
Scott,

Congratulations! You managed to post a link to a picture!!

Ted

DerekW
04/10/2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Guys:

If this works...It should be the first in the series of shots of the tank under construction!

This is the sump placement, return line from the skimmer, and the beginning of the gravity feed manifold. Hope this is visible to everyone, and I can get the rest of the pics up today!

Scott

Scott try it again but make sure you leave no spaces between the ", " and the url.
just use the "IMG" button at the top of message box when posting, and put the "http://" address of the picture, like so...

Detritivore
04/10/2005, 03:58 PM
pretty sweet scott...what are the dimensions of the skimmer box?

Detritivore
04/10/2005, 07:18 PM
oh, and how thick is the steel for the stand?
-thanks

algaeguy
04/10/2005, 07:55 PM
Derek!

Thanks for the tip! I'll be refining my skills once I start posting pics...Totally appreciate the help!

jonah310- The dimensions on the skimmer box are 18" wide, 10" deep, and 24 inches tall! Creates a bit of an aquascaping obstacle, but this monster is capable of holding two 3 inch standpipes and a dry tube (for running wires from lights, etc.) Holds like 18 gallons! Crazy...larger than my first tank as a kid!

I'm not sure how you measure the thickness of steel. but the support crossmembers are like 3" X1 1/2" and at least 1/4" wall thickness. Not sure if that is right, but maybe cmagallon, the designer/builder, can chime in with the stats! He did a wonderful job...I think it can hold up my car!

Scott

moonpod
04/10/2005, 07:57 PM
Scott, I think I'm gonna base my next tank on your system. Very clean under the stand....do you have an autotopoff in there?

algaeguy
04/10/2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Chuck.

I really put a lot of thought into keeping things as clean as possible. The simple fact that everything goes under the stand is a tough thing to deal with, but it works pretty well. The gravity feed is absolutely a great way to go, IMO.

Unfortunately, despite Dave's pleadings and great ideas on getting water to the sump from my RO/DI unit, I couldn't convince my better half that it was a good idea! I'm on a slab, and water in the attic or under the hardwood floor (which I just spent $$$ re-finsihing!) wasn't an option! Just gonna have to go the old fashioned way...sigh!

BTW I cleaned out the Deltec 702 today for the first time, and I must say that it is a snap to clean. And I really cannot begin to describe the smell of the skimmate...Absolutely horrifying! I've never smelled any skimmate this nasty...And there's not much in the tank yet- about 160 lbs of cured live rock and 6 very small fishes...The skimmer has exceeded my expectations on every level. Everything that you said on previous posts about this skimmer was spot on!

Scott

moonpod
04/10/2005, 08:37 PM
OHHHHH BUMMER! BTW, really, really sorry I missed MASLAC. I was working. Anyways, so does this mean the self cleaning head is not in your future? I think that I'm going with a very, very similar setup for my next tank. Half the space under the stand for the sump. The other half for pumps, skimmers etc...

Of course I'm going to have to make Con start working on it now if I want it delivered by July when I move....I hope you're reading this Con...yes I do want a stand!!!!

Detritivore
04/10/2005, 08:37 PM
scott, you got the tank from dave right? i really like that steel bracing :cool:

algaeguy
04/10/2005, 10:30 PM
Yep...No self-cleaning head for me! :(

I really do like the idea of a massive sump...easily handles drain downs if the power should fail, etc. Plus, the added water volume is awesome....

Working on tweaking my CA reactor now...

I'm having a bit of a size uploading limit issue with my pics, and having a bit of trouble compressing them to less than 50...I'm wokring' on it...

Scott

Konadog
04/10/2005, 10:45 PM
Scott,

do I need to send you a link for a tutorial on how to do that also? :D

Detritivore
04/12/2005, 11:10 PM
hi scott, i was wondering where you put all your ballasts and other misc. equipment, cause im planning my tank, and there is NO WAY i could fit everything under one stand, so i have to use a separate cabinet next to the tank, LOL...do you know where i could get a steel stand?

algaeguy
04/12/2005, 11:42 PM
Hi jonah...

I have a little box that used to be my old chiller cover. Nadine decoupaged it in a nice Hawaiian print patttern. It sits by my tank and looks kinda cool! All of the ballasts are remote from the stand, which will hlp with cooling, I think...

Ken- yep- I think I will need a link! LOL

Scott

moonpod
04/12/2005, 11:45 PM
Scott you are killing me. I need lots and lots of pix. I am thinking that your setup basically is what I am going to go with for my next tank b/c it doesn't look like I'll be able to do the remote sump thing ala tedinator. Basically, shrink all the pix down to 600 pixel along one dimension max and then save 'em as a jpg at say 3/10 compression (ie really compressed). then load 'em into your gallery!
chuck!

Konadog
04/12/2005, 11:48 PM
:rolleyes:

Resizing an Image (http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/lesson09/reefcentral.html#Resizing%20an%20Image)

This should give you an idea.

Detritivore
04/12/2005, 11:51 PM
cant wait to see those pictures up! LOL i think im also gonna model my system after yours too :D

scott, how are you placing your streams? as in where are you aiming them?

DerekW
04/13/2005, 08:27 AM
If you have WinXP running, you can download windows image resizer from HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) and then you just right-click the image's icon and click re-size. That would work as well wouldn't it?

algaeguy
04/13/2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone...I'll be working on it tonight!

Scott

thetedinator
04/24/2005, 12:13 AM
Here are few photos of Scott's aquascaped system. Looking good!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator//algaeGuys240/scott_aquascape_042305_006.jpg

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator//algaeGuys240/scott_aquascape_042305_007.jpg

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator//algaeGuys240/scott_aquascape_042305_008.jpg

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/~thetedinator//algaeGuys240/scott_aquascape_042305_009.jpg

cya,

Ted

Konadog
04/24/2005, 12:31 AM
Man, I love the rocks Scott has! Some of those pieces are awesome :thumbsup:

daphaze1
04/24/2005, 06:07 AM
wow yea that is awesome, can't wait to check it out.

moonpod
04/24/2005, 11:09 AM
SCHWEET....

algaeguy
04/24/2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks, guys-

I'd love to take all the credit for he design, but if it wasn't for Dave B. and Ted, I'd have a sort of flat pancake of rock that was rather...dull!

The slab pieces are not as easy to work with as I originally envisioned, but somehow this is working nicely! I had an idea, but just couldn't seem to get it pulled off...Ted and Dave came over, and after about two fun-filled and soggy hours, I have what I've been dreaming of...My rubble zone biotope is coming into focus!

Thanks to these two guys and their artistic eyes, we're about 80% complete with what should be a pretty cool rockscape when it's all done! Just need to get some more large pieces for the left side, and it's ready to go!

It's going to be great once I really start stocking it...

Thanks again, Ted- for posting...

Scott F.

PS- BTW, Chuck- you should see the 702 skimmate production after we disturbed the rocks...Just nasty...What a skimmer!!! You were sooo right about it!

Detritivore
04/24/2005, 07:14 PM
hey scott, is that pcv under that stream? thats a good idea!

algaeguy
04/24/2005, 10:23 PM
Yep, it is. I am in the process of hiding the rest of the PVC piece with some rock (the right side and parts of the back are not complete, but it's coming along!

Basically, the PVC was a piece of 3 " Black PVC inserted into a "closet flange" for balance, with a grey electrical conduit piece shoved on top, with a cutout for the bottom of the Tunze cowling.

Works well, but you have to secure the assembly, as the Streams (particularly the 6200s) will literally carry the thing away!

Scott

bjmycroft
04/25/2005, 07:14 AM
Hi there,
I just got my Deltec AP702 set up - is that the model you have as it looks very much like mine? I have to say, its fantastic - the amount of crud it pulled out when I set it up was astounding. I just need to stop it making the floorboards reverberate and then im back in the wifes good books again....

Love the cabinet by the way - post some plans! Im in the process f planning the next tank and I need to see some plans for nice looking stands as im going to be building it myself think.

Keep it coming!

-Bob

algaeguy
04/25/2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Bob!

Thanks for the kind words!

The Deltec 702 is simply a great skimmer, IMHO! Curiously, noise has not been a factor with this one. Perhaps mounting the skimmer on a mousepad or some other sound-absorbing material could help with any vibration noise?

Unfortunately, I don't have the plans to the stand/cabinet (I'm assuming that you saw the pics earlier in the thread, which show the construction steps?); perhaps they will help a bit.

Maybe cmag, who designed and built the stand for me, can post some plans. It's a really functional stand, particularly when the front piece comes off...total access!

Good luck on your new tank, Bob!

Scott

moonpod
04/25/2005, 09:23 AM
Bob, I too have an AP702 and the only noise issue for me was the air intakes and that was solved with some extra tubing.

Scott your tank is looking good.

Keep me updated on how the chiller is working out in the stand.

Chuck

daphaze1
04/30/2005, 01:19 AM
702 is awesome, i wish i had one. I have the euroreef 12-1RCbeta, great skimmer but noise is totally unbearable. I will have to put it on a timer if i want to sleep or watch tv and my bedroom is on the second floor! heh.

Konadog
05/03/2005, 11:08 PM
Alright Scott, you have had long enough to figure out how to post pictures.

Time for some new shots on how the tank is coming along!

Konadog
07/29/2005, 11:21 PM
Scott, ever figure out how to post pictures yet :)

So how about an update on your tank, did you get everything hidden like you wanted?

algaeguy
07/29/2005, 11:35 PM
Well, I must admit, I kinda slacked off on learning to post pics! I've been pretty busy with wetwebmedia stuff ("Conscientious Aquarist" on line magazine) and such, and that's occupied much of my computer time. I have, however, been playing with my tank in my free time!

However, I did take a bunch of shots that i can send to your private email!

Ironically, a couple of my great ideas for hiding the Streams were not all that practical, in terms of access and maintenance. In the end, I have used the magnets and mounted them high and unobtrusively. For now, this is working very nicely. I'm still scheming, though!

However, I do really, really like the Deco Rock. Interestingly enough, these things blend in beautifully with the natural rock once they're in for a few months!

I am pretty happy with the way the aquascape is turning out. I have all of the rock away from the back walls, and have a really light, open structure...I am modeling a reef flat rubble zone, heavy with faviids, and it's starting to come along nicely!

I swaer that I'll post pics as soon as I can spend the time to figure out how to do it! LOL

BTW- you are always welcome to stop by any time you're out this way (like on the way to Tat's, for instance!). Just lemme know!

Scott

Konadog
07/30/2005, 12:13 AM
Scott, I'm staying away from fish stores and friends with frags for now. As you know, I have been trying to take my tank down for over a month and I still have a few corals (softies) and fish left to find homes for. My remodel project has slowed down for reasons not my fault ;) so it has bought me some time.

I'm glad to here your tank is coming along fine. How has the chiller been running in this heat, did you ever move it out from under your tank?

cali_reef
07/30/2005, 01:12 AM
Scott,

Send the pictures to me too, I like to see it. I will be in LA the same weekend as MACNA so I won't be able to stop by to check this out in person, unless you are not going to DC.