PDA

View Full Version : Algae Bloom

cajun coralman
01/24/2005, 05:10 PM
I have had my 65gal aquarium set up for almost a month now and have had rock in it for the same amount of time. I had moved some of my rock from my 29gal in to this one and within the past two weeks I have noticed the algae start to build. Today I really noticed the algae on the glass and on all of the rock and the substrait. First off, I wanted to know what would cause this. Second, how can I quickley stop this from causing problems (I have already turned off the lights indefinately). I have a fairly large refugium setup, but with no algae or anything other than a Deep sand bed. I am having problems getting to the local fish store, and probably wont get there until next week. Is there anything else that I can do other than leaving the lights off?

Thanks in advance

lmc:thumbsup:

The basic setup::

mmgm
01/24/2005, 09:37 PM
Your tank is going through a natural cycling process..... Other than a refugium I would scrape and clean as needed and wait out the cycle......

It will go away but takes some time....... Took me about 6 months to get my water right.......

Just wait until you get a cyano bloom........:lol:

Enjoy the hobby.......:D

cmacmike
01/24/2005, 09:46 PM
I agree, nothing good in this hobby happens fast. Just wait it out while you pull out a handful at a time.

original-reefland
01/24/2005, 09:48 PM
and turn the lights back on...

nynick
01/24/2005, 09:58 PM
just what I wanted to say...turn the lights back on. The algae is cleaning your tank....let it!

cajun coralman
01/25/2005, 02:14 PM
Awesome guies, thanks a lot. Thats really helpful.:D
Ok Ill turn on the lights. I had them on to get the coraline algae to propogate and then this popped up. Also, I have a schedule for the livestock additions.
I plan to have the first corals (SPS) added by February 13th (I can get a great deal for the corals on that date)

this is the livestock that I want to have:

List of Wanted Livestock. (I'm sorry in advance for bad spelling, but you should get the drift.):

(Mostly SPS)

A. tortusa
Various Acropora
Montipora Capricornis
Efflos
Some other rare SPSs

LPS: 1 Pagoda Coral

1 Clam

1 Rose Bubble-Tip-Anemone

Several color-morphs of Ricordia

Fish:
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Yellow Tang
4 Blue-Green Chromis
2 Clown Fish
1 Manderin Blenny or Phychadelic Fish

Several Cleaner Shrimp
Several Hermit Crabs
Several Snails, Brittle Stars ect.

Cheers gies :beer:

Thanks again!!!:D

cajun coralman
01/25/2005, 02:28 PM
Oh, also, would it be ok to have the MHs on the tank?

I have only had the actinics on it...:confused:

cajun coralman
01/25/2005, 04:07 PM
Sorry I cant give u gies a picture yet, I'm having camera problems. I have some good pictures, but The USB is retarded!!!

cajun coralman
01/26/2005, 12:19 PM
Today like there is more algae, but if you say it is really helping, and I really need to know whether to turn on the MHs????

mmgm
01/26/2005, 01:45 PM
[i]I plan to have the first corals (SPS) added by February 13th (I can get a great deal for the corals on that date)
Thanks again!!!:D [/B]

I would not add any livestock (except for cleaner crew) until your water is crystal clear.......

Good Luck........:D

cajun coralman
01/26/2005, 06:44 PM
Oh, my water is crystal clear, I just have to check my parameters and I should be good;) :D

I just have algae on the rock.

nynick
01/26/2005, 06:52 PM
Turn on the Halides and let your tank start to adjust.

mmgm
01/26/2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by cajun coralman
Oh, my water is crystal clear, I just have to check my parameters and I should be good;) :D

I just have algae on the rock.

Cool......:bum:

When I started the hobby I could not keep a fish alive....... Forget about corals.....

I know there is an excitement to get your reef up and running...... What I have learned from the hobby is things take time......

Some people claim to do it quickly....... and thats cool....... It's your money..........

Enjoy........:D

cajun coralman
01/27/2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the advice with the MHs. I still haven't ordered my cleaner crew yet....Should I do that soon??? Is it imparitive that I get that soon??? :confused: I really think that I should get the cleaning crew soon, and thats just me, but what do u think?

cajun coralman
01/27/2005, 06:50 PM
I think I am going to need it. I put one of my fish from the other tank in two days ago and he seems fine, infact he seems more happy since the upgraid, he just misses his buddies!:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the advice
:D

cajun coralman
01/27/2005, 08:27 PM
This evening just after my last post, I moved the last of the LR from my old tank and put it in the new one (Some in the refuge and some in the display) and found some of my old ricordias and some other mushrooms. I have put the mushroom rock in the refugium and put the ricordia in the display. I also had a scare with my lawnmower blenny fell out of a rock and on to the floor. My first thought was oh my god!!!! And I put it in the tank...No acclimation...my second thought was oh there it is:lol: :hmm6: .. But after about half-an-hour of just floundering around looking almost dead, he came through and started sitting up on things. The rics started opening up almost immediately and so did the mushrooms. Upon closer inspection of some of the rock I found some macro growing It looks like Caulerpa and I put it directly into the fuge. There's about 2 small clumps of the stuff in there now. I even found some growing on the rock that I ordered from Dr. Fosters and Smiths and there are several other strange hitch-hikers on that rock. I'm gonna go to the store and get some Kalk and some Iron for the Macro and Start praying for the fish and the other things!!!!!:D Today was a productive day.

cajun coralman
01/28/2005, 01:04 PM
Ok, he pulled through.. It even looks like he was eatine some of the algae