PDA

View Full Version : Glass Scratches

Freddie L
01/23/2005, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know how to remove scrathes on a glass aquarium?

johnpoole
01/23/2005, 02:55 PM
i have used polishing compound, turtle wax, found in the automotive dept. i used a power buffer made for auto buff out, and it worked very well...

dinoman
01/23/2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by johnpoole
i have used polishing compound, turtle wax, found in the automotive dept. i used a power buffer made for auto buff out, and it worked very well...

Were you taking scratches out of the inside or outside? Just wondering because I'd be worried about something in the wax/compound bein poisonous, but maybe I'm wrong?

-Dino-

Freddie L
01/23/2005, 05:29 PM
Good point I forgot to add.... Scratches are inside of tank.

axepilot
01/23/2005, 05:35 PM
Unless vanity overtakes you and you feel like tearing down the entire tank to nothing for the scratches, just live with them. I've scraped alot of coral and gravel against the glass in my time, but I've never scratched the inside glass.

Not to be a wiseguy, but are you SURE they're actual scratches in the glass?

johnpoole
01/23/2005, 06:18 PM
your right, i would dream of trying to remove scratches from a wet tank, even on the outside, the fumes wouldn't work...

V10 MOJO
01/23/2005, 06:19 PM
my inside front is scratched too. it happens when im using scouring pads to clean the tank (i think theyre scotch-brite; those green pads). only way i coul dfigure it happened was i got some sand caught up in the scouring pad when cleaning the inside glass and ive got quite a few scratches. i could only imagine what my tank would look like if it were acrylic, OUCH

no big deal though, from a foot away you cant tell or when the room is dark with only the tank lights on again from a short distance no big deal, cant see the scratches.

PinkFloydReefer
01/23/2005, 06:56 PM
Sand in the cleaning magnets is the biggest source of scratching around here. Be careful and it shouldn't happen:)

axepilot
01/23/2005, 07:01 PM
Just live with the scratches. There is NO way of polishing them out short of COMPLETELY tearing down the tank.

bcreef
01/24/2005, 12:13 PM
I have an in-wall tank so the glass is closed from the front. I have several small scratches on the outside from recent construction and I was going to do the buffing cream to get them out. Do you think the fumes would not be harmful?-

bc