PDA

View Full Version : candy cane coral

fullburn
01/20/2005, 10:35 PM
I put my first coral into tank several days ago, candy cane coral. Tank is doing great, I had lfs check water before I put it in. The first few days it opened up all the time but the last few it hasn"t . is this normal, anything to be alarmed about.

Ironman
01/21/2005, 09:00 AM
Are you feeding it?

I put a post up last week concerning the Candy Cane, and the advice given was to feed it. Mine is looking much healthier since I've started spot feeding it.

The Shrimp X
01/21/2005, 09:04 AM
what kind of lighting do you have? it may not want to be fed for a while, Candy Cane Coral AKA Caulastrea sp. takes a while to acclimate to a tank. post a pic.

Mr. Eko
01/21/2005, 09:29 AM
I got a candy coral also, can i target feed it micro-vert?

Ironman
01/21/2005, 09:34 AM
Not familiar with micro-vert.

I spot feed mine mysis shrimp mixed with rotifers through a syringe. It accepts it eagerly.

The Shrimp X
01/21/2005, 09:50 AM
i switch off adding micro-vert and Zoo-plex ever other day. then again i have softies, Candy cane Coral, Porclein anemone crabs, misc. feather dusters, and more that feed on such. but spot feeding krill adn other things is very inortant for a viriety type diet.

JENnKerry
01/21/2005, 07:11 PM
Sounds to me like it could still be getting used to your tank. I would just give it some time. Feeding is fine, just dont overdo it. Where do you have them placed? You may try moving them to a different location.

fullburn
01/21/2005, 10:35 PM
I have him 12" down from top of tank, and the other day I tried putting a cap of pheytoplex in tank near him , he didn"t seem to respond. Maybe he does just need to acclimate.

tm49er
01/21/2005, 11:00 PM
i have a candy cane and i spot feed very small pieces of silverside about once a week or so. wait for about an hour after the lights are out and you'll see tentacles. put the food in the tentacles and it will be consumed. mine also likes to be in the upper 3rd of the tank under 250 de halide.

Reefin'247
01/22/2005, 03:19 AM
ive had candy canes for at least 3 yrs.tank crash 3 yrs ago caused die back to frags. one with one polyp and another with two.now three years later .16 and 20+polyps.never ever have i feed them.at the bottom of a 20" tall tank.they get a slight flow to cause very slight movement.

staticfishmonger
01/22/2005, 04:57 AM
this was my first coral as well. started with 4 polyps now pushing 30. i also have never fed it or any of my other corals for that matter. all are doing great and growing like weeds.

fullburn
01/22/2005, 08:54 AM
wow, no pattern to be found, some like top of tank, some bottom, some spot feed, some never feed. I guess I'll just have to give it some time an see what becomes. How do the polyps multiply ? I see some have gone from 4 to 30. Do they all branch off the same one or what.

Reefin'247
01/22/2005, 11:30 AM
one splits into two.and eachof these split into two.now you have four.split again and now u have 8.and so on.

Cheesy_Puffs
01/22/2005, 01:11 PM
We've got ours at the top of the tank under our MHs. Medium flow for movement and never spot feed it. It puffs up quit a bit and at night all the feeding tentacles are exposed.

Also we have a frag of it (5 heads) that broke off during transport to our home tank. This frag was put into our 20g long "softy/shroom" tank with only 70w VHO lighting. The heads do not open up fully at all and look shrunken. Flow is also minimal in this tank (just the return pump).

IMO put it where the LFS you got it from had it. It may have gotten used to that particular placement area.