PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Pods in the Skimmer

Pterois2004
01/20/2005, 09:00 AM
My tank is packed with pods, on the glass and in the water. There are also alot in the intake tank for the skimmer. Should I turn it off and try to suction them with a baster to return to the tank or just count them as gone? I thought about putting them into the refugium, if I can get them out. What would you recommend?

I have a ProClear75 wet/dry system, and there's 3 chambers after the skimmer chamber that would trap them before they could make it back to the return. They've attached themselves to the acrylic sides. Wish I had something to put in there that liked to eat them. I don't have any fish in the tank, so maybe that's why I have so many pods.

LFS guy keeps trying to sell me fish. I don't want a bunch of fish. I like corals. Is there any reason why I must have fish? The next tank will house fish. I have space for a 89x21x48 custom tank. We're tearing out a built-in wet bar, but leaving the cabinets underneath for the sump. Should be a fun project.

Angela

cee
01/20/2005, 09:43 AM
I'd leave them alone. They will breed and create more. Fish do have their place, but that discussion is too lengthy to have here without knowing more about your setup, what your goals are, etc.

Dave

Pterois2004
01/20/2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks, will leave them.

Goals--now that is a long discussion. Hopefully, I can attend a meeting one day and we can sit down to discuss.

Basically, I'm nurturing living beings to assist in their growth and happiness, just as I have done with my human children.

Angela

EvilMel
01/20/2005, 10:56 AM
Hey Angela, you could do what I do and just have a bunch of really tiny fish in the tank. I have a 135 with about 6 green banded gobies, a yasha hashe goby, and a yellow watchman goby. You can never see them unless you are really looking. I love it personally. But people always asked me where's the fish. A while back I did add a big Naso tang and some clown gobies though.

I don't think fish are a must-have in a reef tank at all though honestly. But you will get the "where's the fish" question alot.

llpoolej
01/20/2005, 11:02 AM
I love gobies too. They have alot of personality and very little bioload. Neon gobies, green clown gobies and Rainsford's gobies are my absolute favorites.

I like fish, so I am not a good one to ask. I am sure it can be done just fine without fish though!

Pterois2004
01/20/2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the goby idea. They do look very cute and interesting. Unfortunately, I have a Snowflake Eel, who is the lone inhabitant other than corals and snails. I plan to get him out of there as soon as I can.

Silly newbie question. Does everyone usually have this "white snow" affect in the tank? When I see tank pictures I don't notice the white dots all over the inside of the glass like I have. Beginning to think my tank is strange.

Angela

stevensmd
01/20/2005, 01:52 PM
these aren't air bubbles are they?
dave

llpoolej
01/20/2005, 07:50 PM
They may be feather duster babies. I had a ton of them before my six line wrasse

EvilMel
01/20/2005, 08:46 PM
Can you get a picture? Is it sand clinging to the glass or some organism maybe?

Oh btw gobies with that eel: probably not a good idea like you said. I am curious if an eel would eat a neon goby seeing as how they are cleaners. Not that I think you should try it of course, but I wonder about it.

phudeb
01/20/2005, 10:29 PM
Angela, a picture would help but I think you have the same thing I had for about 2 months. What mine was is calcium deposits. They are dots about 1-2mm all over the glass. What happened was my Alk got too high and the calcium was not getting absorbed into the water.

Pterois2004
01/21/2005, 09:21 AM
These are living organisms on the glass. I think they're some type of egg. I do have quite a few feather dusters that grew out of the LR.

I dont think I want to chance it, since Snowflake has been eating a variety of foods and some live Mysis shrimp. He's a pig.

Alk level is normal. 10% water changes weekly since Nov. 15 with IO salt and RO water (from the Culligan machine at WM).

Angela