PDA

View Full Version : ?Accidents?

bradmol
01/19/2005, 03:42 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever had a fire related to your tank equipment. I have heard of many floods happening but never a fire.
I bought my 1st house a couple of years ago and have been lucky not to have had any major issues. But it is always lingering on my mind being a homeowner.
My parents had tanks when I was growing up and the worst accident I could remember is when hurricane Andrew hit Louisiana. A tree ended up in the house using the tank as a support mechanism. O yeah, no power for 4-5 days.
Anybody been electrocuted with your hand in the tank?

AC
01/19/2005, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately I had a fire behind my inwall tank just before Christmas. Not too much damage, but a lot of cleaning up to do and a $1700 emergency room and ambulance bill:(

Generic
01/19/2005, 03:53 PM
I got zapped by a freshwater several years ago, nothing major.

As for fires? See this thread for ours:
Burning Down the House (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=424147&highlight=fire)

There was another recent local one as well.

Murdock

bradmol
01/19/2005, 04:25 PM
That is the type of thing that I was inquiring on. Luckliy Generic you were around. I think I will go home and look over my drip loops and power strips.

aqua_obs
01/19/2005, 07:41 PM
Make certain you don't use cheap power strips. DIY I started a thread and I'll try and get it posted back here. My power strip started melting from arcing and I was lucky I was home. Fires def happen.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=502940

There are quite a few suggestions in here.

justmiles
01/19/2005, 09:31 PM
You are so correct about quality power strips. Most inexpensive strips use a metallic strip as a fuse. That stip can fail in one of two ways, the most common is that it fails open and the strip just stops working, the other way is that it fails shorted. That is how fires start. I know this because we were having problems at work with power strips dying or frying on us.
We have found that hospital-grade power strips use a real circuit breaker and will not fail in a shorted state. However they are more expensive.

Debknapp
01/21/2005, 08:38 AM
Where did you buy the hospital-grade power strips?

-dk

justmiles
01/21/2005, 12:58 PM
We got them from Grainger or McMaster, big industrial supply warehouses. But if you Froogle "hospital-grape power strip" you should be able to find something cheaper.

aqua_obs
01/21/2005, 04:00 PM
grape? maybe wine?
...:rollface:

there is a grainger store on arapahoe in boulder too.

jonthefb
01/22/2005, 02:14 AM
i wonder if it is purple in color. that is the kind of power strip i am looking for.... it would sooooo go with the decor in my fish room!!!!!!

good luck
jon