PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy? Phoenix 14K 250DE Metal Halide = Aquaconnect 14k

johns
01/18/2005, 03:38 PM
Dont know how much interest I'll gather here on this but worth a shot. Is there any interest in a group buy for Phoenix 14K 250 watt double ended metal halide bulbs? I've contacted a supplier directly and can get a bit of a savings on an order of 12 or more.

There is a lot of talk about these bulbs lately, being the EXACT same bulb offerered by Aquaconnect at a much higher price. I've been doing numerous searches and the Aquaconnect 14k continually comes up as one of the favorite bulbs of SPS keepers.

Here's the deal, I'll only do this if I can get 12 or more ordered. I'm not trying to make any profit here, just want to see if I can get the savings. If I get 12 or more, I can sell them for $56 each. If you can pick them up, great. If not, possibly a couple more bucks for shipping - say $58 each.

For comparison, buying them from an online vendor will cost $70-75 plus shipping. Aquaconnects cost around $115.

Here's the catch. The supplier says if I order now the shipment goes out mid-March. I would need the paypal now though. They suggested I can prepay 30% now to reserve the incoming goods and they will be shipped when the stock arrives. Plus I dont want any changed minds or I'll be stuck with a bunch of bulbs that I cant unload later on - I know, they are supposed to be great bulbs, but I dont have that much disposable cash
:)

Herbert T. Kornfeld
01/21/2005, 02:42 AM
Uh, just saw this thread. I am interested. PM me with details.

weilerda
01/22/2005, 08:25 PM
I have a question. I have a aquamedic ocean light that was included in a tank a bought two months ago. It takes a double end HQI bulb. Are all HQI bulbs usable? Or are there different varieties of bulbs that work with specific ballasts.

johns
01/23/2005, 12:06 AM
Well I'm not totally an expert. I'm sort of new to metal halide. But I was under the impression that any ballast that can run 250W HQI double-ended bulbs can run ANY such bulbs.

I know there are both magnetic and electronic ballasts available to run 250W DE. From what I understand, these ballasts should be able to run any 250W DE bulb. You might start another thread in the lighting forum and ask for the specific ballast and bulb you have in mind to be sure. You'll probably get good info there.

SUMMERS
01/25/2005, 10:58 AM
The Phoenix bulb will work fine in the Ocean Light pendant.

weilerda
01/25/2005, 11:34 AM
I would be interested in two of them. Just let me know more details.

johns
01/25/2005, 12:32 PM
Well I dont know how many Herbert wants yet, but assuming he wants maybe 2, that comes to 6 total so far between the 3 of us.

If I absolutely have to, I might take 4 myself. But we are still short the minimum of 12 needed to get the price break. Hopefully, we'll get more interest soon. Before I just go ahead and order myself 2 for 75 each.

Here are the detail:

If I do get some more interest and can get 12 or more, I'll contact each of you again. Then you can pay me at least 50% of the total amount for your bulbs using either paypal or a check, whatever (I need to prepay a portion to the supplier to order them and I want to make sure anyone who orders is definitely interested). I'll get them ordered and send them out to you as soon as I get them and you pay the remaining.

Herbert T. Kornfeld
01/25/2005, 01:54 PM
I was going to say one, but WTH, I will go for 2...

johns
01/25/2005, 02:11 PM
I guess that's six. I still need 6 more.

If I dont get enough interest fairly soon I will probably just get mine somewhere else. I really want to try out these bulbs, and I am on another hold list at one of the online vendor sites. I'm told that they just came in. It'll just cost be a bit more.

If any of you are interested in trying new bulbs, I would suggest you do a search on RC for Aquaconnect or Phoenix bulbs. You'll see why I want to try them. Generally speaking, if you want to get them from an online vendor, you need to get on a waiting list for anywhere from 1 - 3 months. And spend roughly $20 extra (for Phoenix name) or $60 extra (for Aquaconnect name) per bulb.

Herbert T. Kornfeld
02/01/2005, 08:34 PM
so whats going on? I want to know if I should be sending money of not...

???

I might have a buddy who would take another 2 at least if not more. I should hear back from him this weekend.

johns
02/01/2005, 10:17 PM
so whats going on? I want to know if I should be sending money of not...

???

I might have a buddy who would take another 2 at least if not more. I should hear back from him this weekend.

No one has contacted me other than you and weilerda. Counting me that makes 6 bulbs. Price isn't good unless I can get 12. So no sending money until/unless we reach that number.

Scleractinian
02/05/2005, 07:34 PM
Would anyone be willing to re-ship across the lake? I might be interested (depending on total pricing) in 2 or 4, and could probably find other local interest at MichiganReefers (http://www.michiganreefers.com) .

johns
02/05/2005, 09:51 PM
Scleractinian-

Like I said in my initial post, I dont mind shipping if you just pay for the postage (and add the incsurance if you want as well). I havent looked into the exact cost to ship them, but in my inital post I figured just to add a couple of bucks per bulb for shipping (maybe another buck or so for insurance). If you and someone else near you need to get a bunch, I could probably box them all up for you and ship them to an address. Probbaly would cost 5 or 6 bucks for the whole box.

Like I said, I'm not looking to make a bunch on this, just havent looked at what the actual shipping was.

If anyone on this thread is still interested, let me know so I can get an accurate count right now.

weilerda
02/05/2005, 11:27 PM
I am good for two bulbs

johns
02/12/2005, 07:13 PM
Well folks I couldn't wait any longer. I bought 2 of these bulbs from ReefGeek and installed them today. Had to pay a bit more than what I was showing above, but I had to give them a try. Excellent color! I'm very happy with them!

For those interested in a crisp white with slight blue hue, these fit the bill nicely. Look at this (long ) thread for some interesting reading. My more detailed description and opinion of them is on the last page:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=460299

If anyone still wants to do a group buy, I would probably still go for it. I might as well get 2 more, as I dont imagine switching to anything else right now (plus I may have another MH setup soon).

It's just that I havent gotten enough response. If you really want them, respond here and if we can get 12 total I'll still do it. I'll need you to pay for them upfront or at least give me half the money so that I know you'll follow though. Last I heard, the bulbs would start to being delivered mid-March, but that may have changed by now.

If you dont want to do a group buy, go to Reefgeek.com and get them. I doubt you'll be disappointed.