PDA

View Full Version : HELP! bubbles or particles in water. how do i get rid of them? [movie]

afex
01/16/2005, 02:54 AM
i'm noticing that i have alot of little things floating around in my tank. i can't tell whether they are air bubbles or particles of sand or what.

here is a movie that shows what i'm talking about: http://www.afex2win.com/***/120-2015_MVI.AVI (3.6mb)

what can i do to get rid of them? if they weren't there my tank would look twice as nice.

thanks in advance.

Maxxumless
01/16/2005, 03:54 AM
They look like a combination of both. First find the culprit. Turn off all the pumps and then when the tank is clear of bubbles/debris then turn each one back on. If you have a sump the return pump may be catching and then chopping up larger bubbles. The return pump area may be getting debris into it too. Skimmers are usually the biggest offenders. If it is a powerhead then re-aim them until you are not disturbing the substrate. Usually when the substrate is being kicked up things will eventually settle (look for hills of sand gathering).

Hope that helps.

mzeinstr
01/16/2005, 04:02 AM
hi, i've just set up my new 55 gallon a little over a week ago. i used the southdown sand and it looks to me like what is floating in your water is the same thing i have, just tiny particles of the sand. mine is still doing this after a week, but i run a euro reef skimmer in my sump, was emptying it 2 to 3 times a day at first as it was pulling a lot of this out.

if this is in your 6 gallon, you probably are not using a skimmer, correct? i have read somewhere about a micro mesh screenthat you can place over your filter that will screen this out, but be cautious and make sure that you clean it often so as it doesn't clog up the pipe.

it also could be copepods, which are good, but i'm not sure, as i don't think that there would be so many of those to make a cloud like that.

Z

afex
01/16/2005, 04:49 PM
bump

i have a feeling its the return pump thats causing the bubbles. what can i do to make it stop doing this?

romunov
01/17/2005, 02:45 AM
Run a mechanical filter. It cleared my dust storm.

jnb
02/06/2005, 10:14 AM
i see that term everywhere - exactly what is "southdown") please

Originally posted by mzeinstr
hi, i've just set up my new 55 gallon a little over a week ago. i used the southdown sand and it looks to me like what is floating in your water is the same thing i have, just tiny particles of the sand. mine is still doing this after a week, but i run a euro reef skimmer in my sump, was emptying it 2 to 3 times a day at first as it was pulling a lot of this out.

if this is in your 6 gallon, you probably are not using a skimmer, correct? i have read somewhere about a micro mesh screenthat you can place over your filter that will screen this out, but be cautious and make sure that you clean it often so as it doesn't clog up the pipe.

it also could be copepods, which are good, but i'm not sure, as i don't think that there would be so many of those to make a cloud like that.

Z

dlancz
02/06/2005, 04:39 PM
Sand and microbubbles, man if there's anything I hate!!!!

LOL

bikerboy
02/06/2005, 07:24 PM
for some reason your link gives me this...

Is this what you wanted us to see?

IWhy did you take the video off and put this up?.....

EDIT:
OK, I am not too sure if I like this any with options in posting pictures. I mean, the picture has to be 1"x2" or something. Anyhow, your link says something like, why are you brekaing your site. Why are we so retarded, click the back button and never come back, go away you stupid jerk and so on. Why do you have this? Just curious.....