PDA

View Full Version : Some help please...

aLucidDream
01/15/2005, 08:52 PM
I used to have a FOWLF tank..about year ago. Stoped doing it and now getting back into but am starting a reef tank. I have added a 15lb bag of CaribSea SeaFlor Special Grade Reef Sand and have ordered a 20lb bag of keys live sand that should be here about wed. Still alittle cloudy from the Caribsea stuff. Now, I have a wet dry, the pump when i plugged back in didnt work. So i`m not using the wetdry now...I`m going to take the bioballs out and use it as a sump when the time comes. My skimmer is missing its powerhead, ...so thats not on/be used either. So i`m just running one powerhead to circulate that water. Will this be good enough to cycle the tank? After i get the live sand 2 week later i`m adding about either 75-100lbs of rock most likely still with out the wetdry/sump...I might just throw in another powerhead...will the take cycle with just 2 powerheads as the sand and rock are filters? Am i starting on the wrong foot already?Any advice, or words of any kind will help me out. Thank you .

P.S. my tank is a 75g.

pepe.king.prawn
01/15/2005, 08:56 PM
It will cycle no matter what, but it may take longer or leave you with lots of phosphates or DOCs (dissolved organic compounds). Part of the cycling process is the establishment of bacteria in the filter, but if you're not going to use it anyway (not recommended IMO if you don't have LR) then that's not an issue. I would highly recommend you get a pump to get the skimmer running while you cycle your tank.

Gargausius
01/15/2005, 08:56 PM
It's fine. Just get your technical stuff done as soon as possible.

aLucidDream
01/15/2005, 09:07 PM
whoa awesome, that was the quickest response i think i have ever seen. Like i said its going to be the sand, followed by the rocks...or since the sand is already ordered should i get the pump and powerhead for sump and skimmer then after that put in the live rock? I just dont know the order in which to do things and have it work out best. Being a college stuff doesnt leave me with alot of money, but plenty of time. So i`m in no rush.

Gargausius
01/15/2005, 09:35 PM
Figure it out. It's just a matter of what method works for you.

aLucidDream
01/16/2005, 05:36 AM
one more question, I have never worked with live sand before. What do i do when it arrives? Is there any type of acc. or do i just drain the water if there is any then add it to my tank? Do i use fresh water to get rid of pest, or does that defeat the whole purpose of live sand? Thanks again you guys are really helpful