PDA

View Full Version : starting a kalkwasser set up

Thomas B.
01/13/2005, 12:14 AM
I'm getting ready to put together my "kalkwasser top off set up". Is there anything special I should know about kalwassers?

Best brands, how long does a mix last, how much mix/gal water, do I want to use fresh or saltwater when mixing, do I need to let it set (like when mixing salt) before use....and so on.

I plan to use a float valve in my sump with an auto top off pump to keep my levels up. Does this sound okay? Or should I use a dosing pump and add a certain volume per day?

Thanks for your help

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/13/2005, 08:43 AM
I'm getting ready to put together my "kalkwasser top off set up". Is there anything special I should know about kalwassers?

Add it slowly.

Definitely use fresh water. It dissolves fairly rapidly.

A float valve (as opposed to a float switch) may get clogged fairly rapidly.

There are a lot more details here:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

bigzman
01/13/2005, 09:04 AM
Thomas B.,

Believe me you will switch to a float switch quickly. Cleaning the valve every month became a PITA. I have since switched to doser, Kalk Reactor and kept the float valve to control the water in my reserve. Whole setup cost me 250 dollars. I never worry about it.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=394893

Regards,
ZC

Hobster
01/13/2005, 09:47 AM
Randy,
After reading your Lime articles I understand the slow dripping and not to exceed .25% at one time.

When dripping, what is considered "slow" If one were to dose 1gal per day. Over what time period and how much would be good?(slow) How about 16oz every hr for 8 hrs at night? (50 gal of tank water)
Thanks

Thomas B.
01/13/2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the great info guys...

Randy,

I am seriously looking at the float switch vs. valve. A peristaltic doser looks the way to go rather than a diaphragm due to the ease of maintenance. Do I want to do ALL of my topping off with the limewater? I saw in the article that some mix thier limewater in large quantities. Is it necessary to "keep it mixed up" or does it suspend okay? How long will a mix last?

Thanks soo much for your help. You've made reefkeeping much easier for me since I found this site.

Cordially,

Thomas B.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/13/2005, 02:05 PM
When dripping, what is considered "slow" If one were to dose 1gal per day. Over what time period and how much would be good?(slow) How about 16oz every hr for 8 hrs at night? (50 gal of tank water)

That depends on how effectively the tank is aerated. The more the aeration (and perhaps strongly, but not completely related, how fast CO2 is delivered), the faster it can be added without the pH rising too much.

A peristaltic doser looks the way to go rather than a diaphragm due to the ease of maintenance.

Does it? I've used a Reef Filler diaphragm pump for my system and it hasn't presented much trouble.

Do I want to do ALL of my topping off with the limewater?

Some or all. It doesn't matter which, as long as you deliver enough to meet the demand. In some aquaria, the demand outstrips the ability of limewater to add calcium and alkalinity even when used for all evaporation.

saw in the article that some mix thier limewater in large quantities. Is it necessary to "keep it mixed up" or does it suspend okay? How long will a mix last?

You optimally want dissolved limewater, not suspended lime. The article shows that it dissolves rapidly and last for weeks in my setup.