PDA

View Full Version : need expert advice on removing copper.

azguy
01/12/2005, 11:09 PM
Hello,
I am getting conflicting answers on this, and need some expert help. I recently lost ALL of my inverts in a 100 gallon reef. After a few days of research, I found out that I introduced copper into the system by using 3 brass plumbing fittings. Allthough a salifert test kit did not indicate copper, a polyfilter turned BRIGHT blue in 48 hours. My question is this.... Do I have to discard all of my live rock and sand and start from scratch? I have been in touch with the makers of the poly filter, and they state that the poly filter will safely remove ALL of the copper and without changing any water the system will soon be safe to add inverts again.
Anyone have any suggestions? thanks in advance!
Bob D.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/13/2005, 08:38 AM
Do I have to discard all of my live rock and sand and start from scratch?

It will certainly be easier if you do.

If cost is a limiting factor, discarding just the sand may be a good compromise. It has a lot more surface area and so can bind more. It also costs less, depending on what you use.

If you keep the rock, I'd keep using polyfilters until the are no longer attaining color. I'd also use carbon and skimming.

and they state that the poly filter will safely remove ALL of the copper and without changing any water the system will soon be safe to add inverts again

Well, that just goes to show how poorly they understand, or want to understand, their own product (unless this is a new product). At their own web site they claim it doesn't remove all copper, and we are not only concerned with copper in the water, but also bound to surfaces.

I discuss metal removal in more detail in this article:

Reef Aquaria with Low Soluble Metals
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rhf/feature/index.htm