PDA

View Full Version : who uses pharmacy bought iodine and how much per gallon

Chicago
01/12/2005, 07:10 PM
posted this thread in sps forum but thought it might be good here. randy your thoughts?

who uses pharmacy bought iodine and how much per gallon

i have seen the benifits of using iodine and iodide in tanks. i was thinking about using the wallgreen iodine. it is made up of

"2% iodine
47% alchohol
2.4% sodium iodide
and purified water"

is this the same as loguls. i dont think so.

I was thiinking one drop per 20 gallons twice a week.

thoughts.

alternatives.?

dogstar74
01/13/2005, 12:41 AM
No it is not the same.

This form of Iodine is actually bacterocidal. It's the kind you can get really cheaply. It's also called betadine. Not the stuff you want.

You really want to find Elemental Iodine. And as far as I know the only place to get it commercially is Lugol's solution. However homeopathic food stores and Drug stores should carry it. Just be sure they know you don't want regular betadine.

Good luck.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/13/2005, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure that we are all talking about the same things here.

The above recipe does sound very close to Lugols, which contains both iodine (I2) and iodide (I-), as well as alcohol. I don't see any mention of betadine (or povidone)?

Many people like to use Lugols, and if you fall into that category, the above product should be fine.

I don't prefer it specifically because it does contain I2. It is reactive and unnatural. If I were to dose iodine in some form, I'd use iodide (and did so for years). For the past couple of years, I have been too concerned with inaccurate kits and the lack of any apparenbt benefit of iodine dosing to continue.

I discuss some of these issue more in this article:

Iodine in Marine Aquaria: Part I
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Iodine in Reef Tanks 2: Effects on Macroalgae Growth
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2003/chem.htm

Chicago
01/13/2005, 06:40 PM
thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/14/2005, 07:12 AM
You're welcome.

Hapopy Reefing. :)