PDA

View Full Version : skimmer suggestions for lfs

FishGrrl
01/12/2005, 01:59 AM
I just started working in a fish store recently, and with my prompting, we're considering carrying different skimmers. We're carrying sea clone and visi-jet skimmers for the low end skimmers now. None of us really like them, but a lot of customers want something inexpensive on their first tanks. Try and tell them differently and they think you're just looking for money (nevermind that I started working there because of a love of the hobby!).

We considered the prizm, but they're fussy, and I personally have had back up issues if you don't keep the outflow clean. So that is probably out of the question. I haven't been a regular on any boards in several months, so I'm hoping that there is some new skimmer I haven't heard about yet.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc . . . would be greatly appreciated.

s13silvia
01/12/2005, 02:41 AM
i would carry euro reef or asm, aqua c would be a good line to carry since they have the remora series and EV series. those would be good for the beginner to mid range. for higher end customers there is always deltec

NwG
01/12/2005, 03:07 AM
asm and aquaC are great choices... how bout you guys stop selling the POS skimmers and just sell good ones... I have never understood why lfs dont do that.... (the ones that are not in if to screw people) people would be much more happy with there stuff liveing... This is the first thing a lfs should do when you set up a tank .... kick you as hard as they can square in the rear and drill the fact into your head NOT TO BUY WORTHLESS JUNK!!!! I wish someone had done that to me.... I could afford many more frags...:(

FishGrrl
01/12/2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to definately look into these. the aqua c remora looks especially promising.

POS skimmers and just sell good ones... I have never understood why lfs dont do that....

Because, to be frank, people want the pos skimmers/equipment. So the option is to a: not carry the item and let them go to the local petco and spend their money there; or b: carry them and make that money because the customer is going to buy the cheap one regardless of what you say. I tell all my customers to take their time deciding what they want because its better to spend once that replace something they realize they need to upgrade six months later. I'd rather not sell a skimmer on a new set up than sell a crappy one. But . . . I also promote fishless cycling, and in the two short months I've been there, I've had ONE customer try it, and after a week, ended up buying fish anyway. </rant>

Has anyone played with the multi-skimmer by via aqua? It looks like a ripped off, more complicated version of the prizm. Probably a pos too, but I'm curious because its design looks less likely to overflow than a prizm. Maybe.

Nuhtty
01/12/2005, 04:51 AM
I would say the AquaC line as well.

The remoras and urchins are good skimmers for small to medium tanks and the EV series are great for larger tanks.

You can simply tell the customers that they could spend $100 on a low grade skimmer, but for $60 more (remora) they can have a product that will not only perform better, but has great customer service and LOOKs better.

newmoon
01/12/2005, 05:37 AM
EuroReef all the way :)

Reefmaniac1
01/12/2005, 06:38 AM
ASM is my choice.

I work in a LFS part time and I won't sell some POS like the SeaClone (we won't even carry that crap). What I tell people is that with skimmers, you get what you pay for. You go cheap, you get poor performance....get frustrated and then have to spend more money to get a new skimmer that actually works as advertised. It's just easier and cheaper to do it right the first time.

Rendos
01/12/2005, 08:46 AM
If you are selling Seaclone and Visi-jets then you are selling those to people without sumps probably...since they are both HOB skimmers. Why not carry two types...in sump and HOB. Go with ASM/Euro-Reef or MRC or something like that for larger systems with sumps, and AquaC Remora or CPR Bakpak or Excalibur for the sumpless people with small tanks.

jhunko
01/12/2005, 01:08 PM
I have seen some Won Brothers clean-up skimmers on ebay. They are at good price, and mine works fine. You can't get a very dry foam out of it, but I always like it wet anyway so it is great for me. Not sure if you can get them at wholesale for your store or not.

BrentN
01/12/2005, 03:39 PM
As far as cheap skimmers, I've actually been pretty happy with my cpr bakpak (has the mj 1200 ph). Simple rules of economics dictate that you sell the low-end skimmers, and selection is always good. You're right, people, especially beginners, do want these. If they choose to stay in this (expensive) hobby, upgrading is natural progression.
hth

TroyPierce
01/12/2005, 04:10 PM
One thing that would help a newbee is to USE a good skimmer on some of your public display tanks. So many stores use the cheap ones because they ARE cheap.

When I was looking into my first skimmer, I noticed that the store used the small prizm and the sea clones. When they told me to buy a better one, I thought they were just trying to gouge me because THEY were using a cheaper one so they couldn't be that bad.

The Grim Reefer
01/12/2005, 05:33 PM
Why not set up a tank with a Seaclone and another equally stocked tank with a good skimmer as a demonstration project. For the price keep offering the Seaclone but show people why they should spring for a functional skimmer unless they plan on having a lightly stocked tank about half the size as is recomended for the Seaclone. After seeing that thay should take your word as to why they can't raise a carpet anemone under a 55 watt PC lamp.

You could even offer a 50% trade in value on the Seaclones if they upgrade to a Euroreef or other good skimmer you offer after figuring out the Seaclone wont support a well stocked reef. Pretty soon you will have a fleet of used Seaclones you can sell as first skimmers for the unbelievers. Keeping the customers out of the chain stores is a good idea so you are going to have to have something cheap. Jebo sells a bak pak knockoff pretty cheap, they even have the doubles. Maybe you could offer those.