PDA

View Full Version : Parameter question

sesegal99
01/11/2005, 04:08 PM
Ca is around 530.
Alk is 8.3

150 display w/ 220 lbs of lr and overall I figure around 120 gallons liquid including sumps & refuge.

Two questions:

Will dripping the effluent from my Calc Reactor at a pH of 6.7 have any impact on the overall ph of the system or is it too little to at too slow of a rate to do anything?

I'm also dripping kalk at about 6 gallons every 3 days.

I dont have another ph meter at the moment so I can't monitor ph flux's between night and day.

And is Calc. of 530 too high? I'm using Oceanic :rolleyes:

Thanks.

sesegal99
01/11/2005, 04:20 PM
Oh ya, specific gravity is at 1.025

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 04:22 PM
Will dripping the effluent from my Calc Reactor at a pH of 6.7 have any impact on the overall ph of the system or is it too little to at too slow of a rate to do anything?

Dripping it onto what?

What is the tank pH? Can you move the meter from the reactor effluent to the tank water?

sesegal99
01/11/2005, 04:39 PM
Effluent drips into the sump at about 30 drops / min. Can't move the probe it is in a compression fitting on the reactor that gave me troble when I hooked it up (leaks) don't want to mess with it and chance it.

I believe tank ph is staying around 8.3.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 04:57 PM
I believe tank ph is staying around 8.3.

OK, then perhaps I misunderstood the question.

Is the concern just the high calcium? It is not high enough to worry much about, IMO. That level may be from your salt mix? What mix?

sesegal99
01/11/2005, 11:40 PM
Just had two curious questions.....

And is Calc. of 530 too high? I'm using Oceanic Salt Mix, I know they are notorious for the higher calcium levels, just wondering if 530 was doing any harm?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2005, 08:18 AM
Again, I'm not sure what you mean by drippng the effluent. If you just mean does the effluent from a CaCO3/CO2 reactor lower tank pH, the answer is yes.

As long as the alkalinity is kept to at least about 3 meq/L (depending on the pH), then that calcum level is not a problem. If you want to lower it, I'd add baked baking soda over time to push the alkalinity and pH to the high side for a while. That will speed the deposition of calcium carbonate, and decrease the calcium levels.