PDA

View Full Version : Sodium Chloride

KT & SJ
01/11/2005, 01:42 PM
I've heard that Oceanic salt mix has a low SG when mixed per their instructions. I've also herd that when reefers try to boost the salinity by adding more Oceanic that their Ca and Mg levels get way too high. Instead of adding more Oceanic mix to get a higher SG, would adding sodium chloride do the trick as to avoid these high levels of Ca & Mg?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 03:52 PM
I've not seen an analysis of Oceanic salt with respect to other ions such as sulfate, potassium, etc. to know whether that is desirable or not. If they are normal to low, then adding more NaCl will push them lower.

KT & SJ
01/11/2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks, do you have any suggestions as to how to increase the SG without pushing the other peramiters out of whack?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 04:23 PM
Add Instant Ocean. :D

KT & SJ
01/11/2005, 04:34 PM
lol, I was afraid of that. That was the other salt mix I was considering. I'm changing from NSW , slowly. I just mixed up my first batch of oceanic and haven't added it yet since the salinity was off. I've herd of some people actually mixing the two, wasn't sure if this was a good idea.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 04:56 PM
Mixing IO and Oceanic is fine, although I prefer straight IO. :)

KT & SJ
01/11/2005, 05:35 PM
I keep hearing that IO is low in ca, mg and some other perams that I can't remember right now, any way, what do you add to keep perams acceptable for a reef with out spending a fortune?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2005, 07:05 AM
I have not found my aquarium to be especially low in magnesium when using IO, but I have also not recently tested it. FWIW, many folks find things low because they do not maintain NSW salinity (35 ppt = 1.2064 sg).

I use limewater to maintain calcium and alkalinity, which is very inexpensive. :)

Baking soda and Dowflake CaCl2 are cheap ways to raise them independently.

KT & SJ
01/13/2005, 12:49 PM
Good to know, thanks. I just now saw on the Oceanic jug that to reach preferd SG, add salt or water respectivly. Figures I would miss that part. However they don't specify what kind of salt, more Oceanic, or sodium chloride. So I guess I need to email them. Either way, I need to finish up this jug since I started it, good to know that I can cut it in with IO to lower some of the levels if they get too high. Reefing sure can get confusing, lol, thanks for the info,
Shauna

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/13/2005, 02:17 PM
However they don't specify what kind of salt, more Oceanic, or sodium chloride.

I'm sure they mean Oceanic Salt.

KT & SJ
01/13/2005, 03:25 PM
"I'm sure they mean Oceanic Salt."

That’s what I’m afraid of, I’m thinking that I should have just played it safe and use IO, many seem happy with it and it’s been around forever it seems. Thanks again for the info,
Shauna

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/14/2005, 07:02 AM
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)