PDA

View Full Version : Marine Goop

mhornsby858
01/11/2005, 01:30 PM
Is Marine Goop safe to use in glueing PVC joints? It says do not use it for aquariums, but an article I just read on reefkeeping says its ok? Will it release harmful chemicals into the water even if its dry?

Also, off topic, I have Oolitic sand and its been in the tank for 8 months now and the other day I had to push some sand back into a hole my Sebae started to dig and it felt weird, kind of clumpy, like wet newspaper pulp, is that normal? I have read somewhere that Oolitic sand does something that other sand does not.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 04:18 PM
I'm not actually sure what Marine Goop is or what all may be in it (I did look at their web site), so it is a little hard for me to say much. I've never used it before. Which article referred to it?

Anyone used it?

Sometimes aragonite sand can clump, even to the state of being brick like. New setups and high pH seem to be the most common situations where it happens.

jfinch
01/11/2005, 05:22 PM
IME, it's ok to use. No harm, no foul.

mhornsby858
01/11/2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks.

Randy here is the article

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/eb/

under the adhesives section

Hobster
01/11/2005, 11:13 PM
If I might ask? If you are glueing pvc why use Goop and not just pvc cement?

mhornsby858
01/12/2005, 12:21 AM
Actually I made a fitting that three 1/2" robo tube attachments with flares fit into which then fits over the 2" exit of a auto toilet flusher DIY surge device. The Goop glues the three fittings into holes in the main fitting. With three robo fittings I can have current flow in three directions making it more turbulent. The Dried Marine Goop will be in contact with tank water.

mhornsby858
01/12/2005, 12:23 AM
Hobster you live in West Palm? Looks like peanut island in your icon picture.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2005, 08:19 AM
Without having any other reason to suspect a problem, I'd say that if Eric uses it successfully, that it is likely fine to use. :)

Hobster
01/12/2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mhornsby858
Hobster you live in West Palm? Looks like peanut island in your icon picture.

No, almost directly across the state on the Gulf coast. The icon is Sanibel Island lighthouse. Still standing after all the "Canes. At lot didn't make it. Actually cut one of the upper Islands in half and made a new pass.

mhornsby858
01/12/2005, 12:55 PM
I went to college in sarasota. That lighthouse looks almost like the one in west palm. I left florida 2 days before the first hurricane hit.

aquaman67
01/12/2005, 05:51 PM
I believe marine goop has some type of anti-mildew agent in it that you don't want in your tank.

sreefs
01/12/2005, 10:38 PM
I was told by someone that marine goop should not be used, but regular goop is ok! This was a few years ago when I was making a homemade sump, and I don't remember if it was Calfo or Fenner. FWIW

Hobster
01/13/2005, 09:57 AM
Here is a link to the Goop questions. Per their site it is not to be used in aquariums or food contact. Don't know if just a "standard" disclaimer or what. HTH

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/goop/ad_questions.asp

polcat_4u
01/13/2005, 02:38 PM
I've used it without any ill effects. Mostly to fix small no pressure leaks, it is solvent based so I understand the warning. I woudn't build a sump with it or anything. I have noticed when I used it on thin acrylic (overflow box) it caused some crazing. Wouldn't be my first choice but sometimes where silicone, super glue, weldon, or pvc cement won't work it's worth a try IMHO.

aquaman67
01/13/2005, 09:50 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258686&highlight=marine+AND+goop

radiata
01/15/2005, 11:15 PM
I've used Goop products without any apparent problems. It is more "liquid" than silicone adhesives so there are applications where it is preferable. For example, when putting a bulkhead through a curved surface, I'll use the Goop to seal around the bulkhead on the inside of the cylinder, keeping the cylinder horizontal while it dries.

HTH,
Bob D.