PDA

View Full Version : How much Pickling lime?

REEFERJOE
01/11/2005, 11:27 AM
How much pickling do i use to make up a 2 qt bottle? Im wanting to start slow dripping it into my tank tonite but need the mix ratio.

REEFERJOE

Meisen
01/11/2005, 11:41 AM
About one heaping teaspoon. It doesnt really matter if you use too much...it wont dissolve beyond saturated. Mix it well, let it settle out and use only the liquid part of it, not the precipitated solids on the bottom. Make sure you add it slow (overnight is ideal). I use an IV drip tube drilled into a 1 gallon milk jug about 1.5" from the bottom.

REEFERJOE
01/11/2005, 11:47 AM
I made mine with a cut off valve so i can adjust the water flow (drip) out if a 2 qt gatorade bottle drilled 2 holes in the top and put the tubs in it one almost to the bottom and one just barely in the top so i can blow in it to start the flow.do i need to make it bigger?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 03:46 PM
Saturation is about 2 level teaspoons per gallon of fresh water. More than that will just settle to the bottom. You may need less (I use less than saturated limewater).

This article may help:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

REEFERJOE
01/11/2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks i read that and that is when i decide to start using lime do i need to turn off my skimmer or anything or is everyting ok like it is.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 04:24 PM
No need to change anything when adding limewater. :)

weege1
01/11/2005, 04:45 PM
Not to hijack this thread but it is related.

In your recent article you talk about limewater and its ability to self purify when used at saturation.

Well I plan on using a limewater drip only at night for the pH boost so I would like so use an amount that is much less than the saturation point.

Would this be a bad idea since I will not be utilizing the purification properties of saturated limewater and potentially introducing impurities. I know you also use less than saturated limewater can you please explain.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2005, 04:59 PM
No, that is fine. It will still self purify to some extent even when undersaturated. I use undersaturated limewater. :)

weege1
01/11/2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
No, that is fine. It will still self purify to some extent even when undersaturated. I use undersaturated limewater. :)

Thanks for reassuring me Randy... :D

REEFERJOE
01/11/2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2005, 07:00 AM
You guys are welcome. :)

Good luck!