PDA

View Full Version : Asking those who have switched from tap to RO

Ti
01/08/2005, 05:39 PM
Did you notice any difference when you swapped over from tap to RO?

capt. insano
01/08/2005, 05:59 PM
not near as much brown (diatom) algae

Ti
01/08/2005, 06:05 PM
Aside from algae, did corals color up more, or did they stay relatively the same?

dendronepthya
01/08/2005, 11:08 PM
It really depends on what your water was like to begin with. My situation was extreme. We have a well that has a total dissolved solids concentration (TDS) of 850ppm. When we mix salt water, it gets very cloudy and then 60% of the calcium precipitates out. Nasty stuff. Once we got an RO system, the TDS dropped to about 4.5ppm and we never again had a problem with precipitation.

I would recommend checking out your water first before investing in any kind of purifier.

greenbean36191
01/08/2005, 11:12 PM
My tap water was only about 100 tds and after only a few months of using it in my tank I had uncontrolable diatoms and cyano. After doing a 100% change with RO I haven't had any algae problems in over a year (knock on wood). Corals and fish didn't seem to mind one way or the other.

Ti
01/09/2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by greenbean36191
My tap water was only about 100 tds and after only a few months of using it in my tank I had uncontrolable diatoms and cyano. After doing a 100% change with RO I haven't had any algae problems in over a year (knock on wood). Corals and fish didn't seem to mind one way or the other.
Well Like I was saying, aside from algae.
I honestly have no problems with algae with my current tap.
Just curious about whether I am holding back the full color of the corals with the tap.