PDA

View Full Version : Dangers in mixing different salt mixes together?

Froggy
01/08/2005, 08:05 AM
* I posted this yesterday in the general discussion forum also trying to stimulate conversation but ended up talking to myself *

Randy, I have read many threads recently about reef hobbyists mixing 2 different brands of synthetic salt mix together to achieve a freshly mixed batch of sythetic saltwater that is higher in both alkalinity and calcium since some brands are high in calcium and low in alkalinity buffer and others are vice versa. If calcium and alkalinity were the only issues in the mix this would seem like a great idea. I got to thinking about the composition of natural seawater and the composition of different synthetic salt mixes and I began wondering if mixing 2 different brands of synthetic salt mixes could be detrimental. When looking at individual compsitions of different brands, I found that many of the major, minor, and trace elements in the mix are greatly elevated above what is found in NSW anyways by themself. Would mixing 2 brands of synthetic salt mix skew these numbers further and possibly to dangerous or toxic levels? It just seems to me that great effort is put in by the labs and companies that produce "their" brand of salt mix and mixing different chemical compositions of the different salt mixes may not be wise even though they may produce a favorable balanced calcium and alkalinity reading when mixed together. What are your thoughts on this? Sorry for the long winded post but this has really had me thinking :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/08/2005, 08:24 AM
When looking at individual compsitions of different brands, I found that many of the major, minor, and trace elements in the mix are greatly elevated above what is found in NSW anyways by themself. Would mixing 2 brands of synthetic salt mix skew these numbers further and possibly to dangerous or toxic levels?

With respect to trace elements, mxing two brands is at least if not more likely to even out spikes that might occur in one, rather than be the cause of significant new imbalances. Without have any inside information, I bellieve that the trace elements are largely coming as impurities in other major componenets, so I'm not sure how much real control the manufacturers have over them, at least in the simplistic sense.

I agree that folks seem to be undesirably focusing on calcium and alkalinity, and so are driven in these mixing schemes to use Oceanic and something like IO.

IMO, I think that IO alone is better than Oceanic or a mixture that contains it. I just do not care for the philosophy that has guided the recipe for Oceanic, especially with respect to things other than calcium and alkalinity.

Anyone else have opinions on mixing salts?

Froggy
01/08/2005, 08:33 AM
Thank you Randy for the quick response. I am a happy I.O. user and will continue to be. Just Kalk, B-Ionic and I.O. works for me. :D I also feel that much more goes into a quality salt mix far beyond calcium and alkalinity levels. Besides, those values are very easy to correct and maintain with several quality, effective methods. Thanks again !

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/08/2005, 05:22 PM
Besides, those values are very easy to correct and maintain with several quality, effective methods.

I agree.

Happy Reefing. :)

comatose
01/08/2005, 11:29 PM
at first i was only using Oceanic but the calcium readings were to high and ALK reading to low, so i decided to do some testing a few months ago.
i found that Oceanic readings were:
Salinity 1.026 (refracto)
Cal = 520 (salifert)
Alk = 7.6 (salifert)
PH = 7.8 (pinpoint meter)

then i tested Crystal Sea:
Cal = 380
Alk 11.2
Ph = 8.5

so i decided to try 50-50 mix, i Mixed exactly equal amounts of both Oceanic and Crystal Sea. and here are the readings i got:
Cal = 440
Alk = 9.6
PH 8.3

the readings were perfect, so i been using the 50-50 mix ever since and my tank has looked great.
not only that but Oceanic cost $39 for 200 gal mix and Crystal sea $18.99 150 gal bucket, so i actually save money and get better readings.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/09/2005, 09:07 AM
This thread addresses some of the reasons that I do not care for Oceanic salt:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400888

krucial
01/09/2005, 04:59 PM
What salt do u use Randy??

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/10/2005, 07:06 AM
I use Instant Ocean. :)