PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep a sea hare

giantxtc
01/07/2005, 06:41 PM
I visited a store today and the owner had a sea hare in a tank that had been over run with various algaes.The sea hare had literally cleaned almost all the rocks bare.I know they can release toxins,and can get quite large.It seemed to be one of the best critters I have seen for removing algea.Was wondering why I have not seen one until now?If they do such a good job,then there must be some kinda catch as to why you don't see more.:confused:

invertaman
01/07/2005, 06:46 PM
just take my advise. stay away from them there tank CRASHERS

giantxtc
01/08/2005, 10:28 AM
Guess that answers my question!

EnderG60
01/08/2005, 11:09 AM
I had one in my 58g and my cleaner shrimp ate him...other then me being ****ed nothing else happened.

I also have one in my 11g that got stuck in a power head....AND in the overflow and is still doing just fine.

I think they are great little critters. If i didnt know my shirmp would eat it I would get another for my 58g

cristhiam
01/08/2005, 01:40 PM
Here's shrek, I had him for about 3 or 4 weeks until he got stuck in a power head and died, nothing happened to my tank. He cleaned up my algea problem.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/51914shrek2.jpg

Saltz Creep
01/08/2005, 01:43 PM
They're great if you can keep them alive. But so will a couple hundred mini-blue legs which have a better survival rate.

Steel_Phoenix
01/08/2005, 02:01 PM
I've got one. It eats any large soft algae, but won't touch cyano or more corraline algae. My tank is now bare of all soft algae and I feed it dried nori. It is getting big and knocks things over now and then, but stays away from the powerheads and doesn't cause trouble. It eats by pulling things into its mouth rather than with a rasping toungue, so I wouldn't expect it to take all the green off the glass.

Freed
01/08/2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by invertaman
just take my advise. stay away from them there tank CRASHERS

And what makes you say this, invertaman?

rather than with a rasping toungue, so I wouldn't expect it to take all the green off the glass.

They do have rasping tongues and they can clean algae off the tank walls.

Steel_Phoenix
01/08/2005, 02:55 PM
Interesting about the tongue. I've seen a tongue on mine when it eats, so I believe you, but I've never seen it touch the small green stuff on the glass. I must have a lazy one. Now you've gotten him in trouble.