PDA

View Full Version : adding macroalgae directly to sump?

hubes1
01/07/2005, 01:12 AM
I set up a tank a couple weeks ago and battling some nasty hair algae. I assume it's probably because I used tap water, but I haven't been able to locate a PO4 test kit to verify yet.

To help alleviate the problem, I'm going to switch to RO water from the grocery store to do top off and salt mixes while I investigate how an RO/DI setup would work.

I also wanted to add some macroalgae to the sump, but I'm pretty limited in space because I'm just using a ~15 gallon Rubbermaid type tub which is crowded with a big Euroreef, heaters, and the return pump.

Would it be possible to just dump some macroalgae in there? I'm a little wary of it growing on my equipment and getting unwieldy in the little space. I don't have too many options to try and section off the sump or increase the size. It's the biggest that'll fit under my stand, so the only way to increase size would be to the tank, stand, rock, etc out from the wall a few more feet and put a larger tank below and behind. Trying to avoid that, if possible. :)

Also, is there anything special I have to do for lighting the macroalgae? Would a simple desk lamp work?

Thanks!!

DaveC
01/07/2005, 07:44 AM
There may be a few problems with just dumping macroalgea into your sump, first the flow is probably alittle to high in your sump and second it is very possible that it will get caught up into one of your pumps. Lighting can be simple but a desk lamp probably would not work that well, I use one of those round chrome dished clamp on work lights with a plant grow bulbs and works excellent for me....also just so you know it would take the algea some time to begin working....if you can not divide your sump into some sort of combo sump/refugium you may be better to get one of those hang on the back refugiums, check out the used equipment section I see them often for sale pretty cheap...or another solution is to somehow mount a small 10 gallon or so tank above your display, feed it with a small powerhead, and let it gravity flow back into your tank, this would require drilling a hole in the tank which a glass shop could do, or make one our of acrylic and drill it with a hole saw....your tap water is more than likely what killed you, and will continue to do so until you have finally gotten rid of all of it, make sure you test the store water as some stores do not change filters often and could be just as bad as your tap water....and get some test kits to test for phosphates, or take your water to a LFS and have them do it..

DaveC