PDA

View Full Version : Not what I expected......

MaxSeeley
01/06/2005, 12:06 AM
I run a business that services aquariums. I am fairly new to the business and have observed something that perplexes me. I have taken over two aquariums (aquariums are owned by different people and are not associated in any way) from another service provider. One aquarium is a reef and the other is saltwater fish only. The service provider previous to me used tap water. I talked both customers into using RO water for top off and water changes. Once both customers made this change, both aquariums developed cynobacteria outbreaks.

The best explanation that I could come up with:

The use of RO water as opposed to tap water has changed the balance point of the tank(because things like lead and cyanide are not being added when RO water is used). I.e. bacteria and microorganism in relation to waste materials in the aquarium are out of wack. Plus, there were probably excess nutrients stored in the sand bed; once the right conditions were presented the cynobacteria bloomed.

I understand that this is almost pure speculation, but is the only thing that I can think of. I also understand that this outbreak might not be caused by the change in source water but by some other factor. But it seems to be the only major change. Tell me what you think

krucial
01/06/2005, 02:18 AM
I was going through randys articles and I thought this maybe helpful http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

good info on there...

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Krucial. :)

I don't know what might have increased the cyano. Calcium or alkalinity could be lower now as the tap water might have added one or both, and that may decrease coralline algae and coral growth (at least in the reef). That decrease, in turn,may increase the phosphate that remains for cyano to use.