PDA

View Full Version : light requirments of finger leather

Theo
12/08/2001, 06:24 PM
I bought a finger leather last Saturday. over the week its just sat there all scrunched up. It started to come out yesterday and today but then scrunched back up again. I have 3 110 watt VHO'S. I had put it about 1/3 of the way down and today I put it down further to about 2/3rds. My reasoning is it tries to come out but then doesn't. the lighting at the store where I got it wasn't very bright at all. My question is if this will be enough light for it 2/3 rds of the way down. Anybody with experience?

Reeefer
12/08/2001, 07:04 PM
I've been in the hobby for only about 10 mos. Since my first tank cycled, I've practically owned a finger leather. This coral has grown tremendously. So much that I even sliced off a piece that was an arm with three tips from the base. Three months later, and its probably grown 10x the size and has about 13 arms, some with tips. Both corals reside in 20 gallon tanks with 110w JBJ compact flourescents. The equipment setups are identical. However, the parent resides near the surface, while the frag resides on a rock on the substrate. Both seem to do excellent. For me, it seems that a decent current is important. It could just be that your finger is still acclimating from your LFS.

salttess
12/08/2001, 07:19 PM
I have noticed if I touch mine, it will retract and stay that way for a little while. If I move it, it will stay retracted for several days. Put it in one spot and leave it there without touching and see if it does better. Tina