PDA

View Full Version : Water Evaporation

e87089sa
01/05/2005, 04:17 PM
1- Should i adjust the PH level for the fresh water wich i added to maneged the SG level in the aquarium ( the fresh water is about 7.0 PH ) ??

2- What if i never change the water ( just add fresh water ) is this enough ... Does the ( naitrite - naitrate - ammonia ) evaporating with the evaporeted water or its still in the aquarium ??

rshimek
01/05/2005, 05:03 PM
[moved]

Clown-lover
01/05/2005, 07:04 PM
Well from what I have read, you should not add any think to fresh (evaporated?) top-up water. If you add a alkaline supplement to the water it will just raise the DKH. You do not need to add any think to top-up water.

But please let randy post before any think, I am just trying to post what I have learned so far, I hope its correct :)

Oh and I dont think ammonia or nitrite evaporates, I think nitrate can escape as a gas but I am not really sure, better wait for randy.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2005, 07:51 AM
There is no need to adjust the pH of purified water used as top off water or to make salt water. In fact, meters and kits do not generally read its pH accurately anyway.

It is never the cause of low pH in a reef aquarium.

What if i never change the water ( just add fresh water ) is this enough ... Does the ( naitrite - naitrate - ammonia ) evaporating with the evaporeted water or its still in the aquarium ??

Those will not appreciably evaporate (especially nitrite and nitrate), but water changes are not a very good way of dealing with them anyway. Water changes are best at dealing with things that are not otherwise readily added or removed (metals like copoper, etc).

This article discusses ways to reduce nitrate:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

and this does the same for phosphate:

Phosphorus: Algaeā€™s Best Friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

I am just trying to post what I have learned so far, I hope its correct

:thumbsup: Sounds good. :)