PDA

View Full Version : using 6500k iwasakis w/ or w/out actinics?

smokinreefer
12/08/2001, 04:01 PM
hey guys,
i am currently running 2 6500k 400W iwasakis on my 135.

i am curious on your opinions of whether or not i should add 2 6' VHO actinics. i am happy with the color of the light in the tank, but i am wonering if the VHO will help to bring out the color in the sps.

that is my only objective with adding the VHO.

any input, experience or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Skipper
12/08/2001, 06:46 PM
i am wonering if the VHO will help to bring out the color in the sps.
As far as the appearance goes....absolutely. Are you asking, though, if the vho will bring about better coloration in your SPS?

shadetree
12/08/2001, 10:41 PM
smokin,

Do you need Actinics? Hmmm, did you know that under actinics that cap frag I got from you last Sunday has green polyps?

Scott

smokinreefer
12/09/2001, 03:30 AM
skipper, i guess i am asking both. i have read that the iwasaki has plenty of blue light in it to bring about good sps coloration, but that you need more visible blue light(hence the VHO actinic) to view the colors better. make sense?

scott, i know it flouresces green under actinics only, but green polyps?! really?!, i threw on a pair of 48" NO actinics that i had kickin around. but they dont do squat with my 400W MHs on. hows it look with both your actinics on and the MH? your running 250s and 110s right?

hmmm...looks like i'll be getting some VHO for Xmas!

JerseyReef
12/09/2001, 09:02 AM
personaly I like PC's for the actinic look. I use the (1) 03 96W PC and (1) 7100K 96W PC. That gives my Iwasaki's a nice crip white look to them, with a hint of blue. Also a makes the corals flouresce very nicely and makes a great dusk/dawn lighting...

Cheaper as well...replace 2 PC once a year Vs. replacing 2 VHO twice a year...

IMO, IME, HTH

Fredfish
12/09/2001, 01:37 PM
I don't think anyone has shown a definative link between a specific color bulb and coral coloration. It is known that intensity is important, but not the only factor.

I had the opportunity to see jnasty31's setup a week ago. He has all his colorful SPS under a single 1000W light. His corals have INCREDIBLE color!! Can't remember the color temp of the bulb he used.

Personally I would go for more intensity before choosing a specific bulb.

Fred.

va_reefman
12/10/2001, 03:34 PM
Smokinreefer,

I used to run 250MH with VHO and now 400MH with VHO on my 180 and love the color. If money is not a problem then Iwould recommend either VHO or PC for the actinic depending on your choice. I replace my VHO every 9 months or a year depending on my mood.

As far as blue light goes, your 400watts 6500K has almost the same amount of spectrum in the blue and violet regions as the 10000K(according to Sanjay's latest spectral analysis). For the coral they can use the light but we can not see it. If you are going to get the VHO just for the blue light then I wouldn't recommend it because you already have enough of it on your tank. On the other hand VHO are really nice when the main MH lights are out. it's like looking at a different tank(for me).

Again, this is only my personal opinion. Personally I don't like tank that are too blue or too yellow. My 3 400 waters with 2 6' VHO give me a nice natural color just the way I wanted. One other good thing about 6500K is that it will last at least 18 mons to two years before the spectrum really droped off(again, according to Sanjay's spectral analysis). On the safe side I ussually change out my MH before the 18 mons mark.

HTH,
John

smokinreefer
12/10/2001, 03:46 PM
thanks for the input guys,

va, do you notice a significant color change/appearance in the corals when you shut off your VHO and just have the MH on? that would be my main motivation for adding the VHO. i dont think adding VHO on my tank will help change the actual color in the coral, but if it can help enhance the colors that they already have, then i may go for it.

Skipper
12/10/2001, 04:06 PM
Hey smokinreefer. It will definitely enhance the look of your corals. For example, the corals with flourescing green zooanthellae will really 'glow'.

Gary Majchrzak
12/18/2001, 11:44 AM
Just get the VHO lamps-see for yourself-it's worth it -I did it finally after using just 2 standard actinics for 7 years ,I upgraded to 4 VHO actinics to supplement the halides.

Nanook
12/19/2001, 05:01 AM
VHO on electronic ballasts last for 1 year, not six months. Also, they are cheaper than the 96w PC bulbs you refer to. The 96w PC bulbs run about $41.00 each, the VHO actinics run about $22.00 each. So, if you buy two PC bulbs for 82.00 each year, you could have had 4 VHO bulbs to last two years. Plus, no other bulb gives the fluorescence of VHO actinics IMO, IME....I have used the PC actinics and they simply do not fluoresce the way VHO does. HTH,

Nanook ;)

griss
12/21/2001, 10:40 AM
Smokin....IMO you will really like the look of using VHO actinics with your Sakis.

Griss

Ironreef
12/22/2001, 03:11 AM
Yes your corals will look better. 6.5k give a washed look IMO. I prefer 6.5k my corals like it . I like my tank to look white also. But the actinic will make them glow. You can try no light also. say 1 actinic if you wanna just save$$