PDA

View Full Version : limewater and ph.......

puffdaddy_1
01/05/2005, 12:24 PM
Randy,

Ive started dripping limewater for all my top off water because of my low ph problem. I have been dripping 1 tsp per gallon and it seems to be maintaining calcium and alkalinity. However, my ph still drops to 7.7 in the morning. It gets up to 8.0 during the day. Alk is 4.0/meq l and calcium is at 445. Is there any way I can increase the ph of the limewater without making a saturated solution? I dont want to raise my alk and calcium anymore, just my ph. Any suggestions?

I appreciate your response

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/05/2005, 12:36 PM
You are not likely to run into any problems from the calcium and alkalinity rising (if they even do) by using more lime. I'd up it to 2 teaspoons per freshwater gallon and see what the various effects are. I've never seen an aquarium with excessive calcium and alkalinity from limewater alone. The addition becomes self limiting in that excess calcium and alkalinity precipitate,(often without you even noticing) as calcium carbonate.

dobelady
01/05/2005, 06:16 PM
is it better to use kalk or pickling lime?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2005, 07:46 AM
Well, I can't make a general comment because "kalk"is not a thing. If you are buying a hobby lime to make limewater, then its quality is dependent on the manufacturer. If you are buying pickling lime, then its quality is at least restricted by the rules governing food grade lime.

In general, food grade lime is certainly fine to use, as are many hobby sources of calcium hydroxide.

I cover these issues in detail in this article that just came out:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm