PDA

View Full Version : Are these fish compatible??

Myka
01/04/2005, 11:37 PM
Hi all! I am in the early stages of planning a reef. I hope to have it setup in April. I'd like to get a 65 gallon, with a 10-20 gallon sump, and 10-20 gallon refugium, so I'm not even sure if it will be big enough for what I'd like to get...please comment.

As far as fish go I'd like to get:

Copperband Butterfly
Mandarin Goby
Percula Clowns (2)
Flame Angel OR Coral Beauty Angel

For corals I'd like:

Mushrooms (regular, ricordia, bubble, etc)
Pulsing Xenia (maybe)
Star Polyps
Zoanthids

Inverts:

I don't like inverts...so nothing but a clean-up crew.

Lighting:

I really like to just use high watts of NO flourescents. Maybe Hagen PowerGlo...?

Skimming:

Snailman's DIY Skimmer.

Will this all be compatible? Will a 65 be large enough to accomodate? I don't want a tank bigger than 65 gallons...

Thanks for any help!

Gawain1974
01/05/2005, 12:03 AM
I think you'd be fine with the livestock you listed above. Not sure, but the copperband might want to eat on your xenia a bit, but I could be mistaken.
You might want to consider VHO instead of NO.
Good luck and have fun planning your tank!

Myka
01/05/2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks for your input! What exactly is VHO lighting? Can I get it from Home Depot or likewise? Or is it a specialty fish lighting that will be equally specialty cost?

I'm a student, and have limited budget, so that's the reason for sticking to NO lighting....

Myka
01/05/2005, 08:44 PM
Any other comments???

Dubbin1
01/05/2005, 08:49 PM
You are taking a chance with the Flame Angel and Coral Beauty. They are both known to nip at corals. Some do and some dont so its a coin toss.

Thunil
01/05/2005, 09:02 PM
do alot of research on the mandarin. and make sure that your tank is up for atleast 6 months before you put the mandarin in. good luck

Myka
01/05/2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I was worried about having an Angel, but I have been researching Mandarins for quite a while now, so hopefully I'll do alright with one.

webpolk
01/09/2005, 12:08 PM
NO lights are fine, if you just want LR, possibly a couple shrooms, and fish. Otherwise, you are going to need a little more juice. I would strongly recommend looking into a DIY type ballast. I have a couple Fulham Workhorse 7's, and could not be happier.

On the fish, I would stray from the Copper Band. Their diet is mostly derived from Apstisia in the wild, and it is very difficult to keep enough of these to support one. I tried with an Apstisia breeding tank, and was sucesscful for about a year.

Sounds like you know not to get the mandrin until your tank is mature, even with a refuge.

The Flame or the Coral Beauty would be great additions to a tank like this.

Hope this helps,
Steve

marinelife
01/09/2005, 12:32 PM
Copperband eat more than just apstisia, If you get one you can try frozen Angel and Butterfly Formula. Copperbands need good water and food, They are finicky eaters, and the key to their success is live rock. So I only recommend buying one if you have a thriving reef tank, and I would also feed them mixed seafoods.

Myka
01/09/2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the opinions! Much appreciated.

For the CBB, I was going to try that method of using a clam shell to convert them to eating frozen, and minced raw seafood. With a fish as expensive (for me anyhow) as they are you can bet I'll have my bases covered!!!

webpolk
01/09/2005, 12:46 PM
Mine ate like a pig. Ate everything I fed the tank. Problem is, they just dont have longevity relative to our reef environment. I do not know many people that have kept them for years with no issues.

That being said, I am no expert, by any means. I can just go from my experience. I just think these are one of the few fish that should be left in the ocean to thrive in their natural environment.

JMO,
Steve

Myka
01/09/2005, 12:52 PM
Oh really? I didn't realise that they don't have longevity in captivity. Are there any other opinions on this???