PDA

View Full Version : I think I understand- cal and alk?

PHreef
01/04/2005, 08:02 PM
Hello Randy and all, Happy New Year.

Although I don't post often, I read a lot of posts from various forums here on RC. I think I'm learning the most in "The Reef Chemistry Forum", Thanks!

Unfortunately I've been ignoring the calcium and alkalinity in my tanks since I started reefing 8 years ago, mostly because of inadequate info
from local fish shops. Every time I followed a suggestion of a shop employee, I either got little results or incorrect results. So I left well enough alone since my corals and coraline where growing (although slowly).Whenever I did check cal and alk levels they were around 300 ppm and 2.5 meq/l respectively.

After reading several of your articles in the archives,and alot of posts, I feel I now have a basic understanding of this issue and I've started correcting the problem.

First, my system is: 380 gallons, using a 345 gallon tank and 30+ gls in the sump and skimmer. The skimmer is a MTC HSA500. Approx 250 lbs live rock, 94x34x2" of live Caribsea reef sand (not sure of the lbs). 11 1" to 2" fish, 3 med sized tangs. A large anemone, several LPS and assorted soft corals, 30+ snails,75+ hermits and a few shrimp. Mostly everything in this system has been moved over the last 4 months from smaller tanks but I've had all from 3 to 8 years. Also, I change about 10% seawater per month using Crystal Sea and RO/DI water.

I started dosing limewater about 6 weeks ago, only to notice the calcium stay around 300 ppm and the alkalinity level out at 4.0 meq/l.
After a little more research I started to correct the calcium with Kent Turbo Calcium using one of the online calculators you suggest using.
Because the system volume is relatively large it sucked up 4oo grams(and $15 worth) of the Turbo Calcium bringing the calcium to 360 ppm over about 4 days. The cost seemed a little high to me so I did still more research in your forum for a safe/economical alternate sources of calcium chloride. I couldn't find Dowflake in my area but I was able to find Peladow(50 lbs for $25!!).

So to make an already too long story a little shorter, my calcium now is 420 ppm and my alk varies from 3.5 to 4 meq/l and i've resumed dosing about 2.5 gls of limewater( with 2 tsp pickling lime per gl) each night.

Basically, my question is: Do you think I can maintain my calcium and alkalinity using limewater and an occasional adjustment with calcium chloride, or should I think about adding calcium reactor? I don't plan on adding any SPS corals at this time.

Thanks for dedicating your knowledge and time to us hobbiests.
Patrick

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/04/2005, 09:02 PM
I think that now that the levels are well set, that limewater could do the job, yes. It is what I use, and only falls short for high demand systems with a lot of SPS or other fast calcifying corals.

Just be sure to add it slowly.

I have a long article on limewater coming out in the next couple of days at www.reefkeeping.com that may help more with what and how to use it. :)

PHreef
01/04/2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks to you Randy I'm on the right track!!
I'll keep reading your articles and the posts here.

Thanks again, Patrick

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/05/2005, 12:07 PM
You're welcome and thanks for the nice comments. :)

Happy Reefing