PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime Remover & Phosphate Killers my only option?

ZoominRex
01/04/2005, 11:57 AM
I have a ton of cyanobacteria growing on my substrate and some LR. I read that it is due to the high phosphate levels. I only feed my fish once every 3 days but over the last 3 weeks the cyano keeps growing and growing! Is red slime remover and phophate killers safe for my fish, inverts, and coral? Would you suggest their use? Water changes have not been helping. Its taking over my tank and its ugly! :(

shan820
01/04/2005, 07:38 PM
worked for me without any side effects....

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/04/2005, 08:48 PM
Other things that help cyano are reduced organics (skimming, carbon, etc) and more water flow. There are also other ways to reduce phosphate, including growing macroalgae.

These articles may help:

Phosphorus: Algaeā€™s Best Friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

ZoominRex
01/05/2005, 11:11 AM
thanks you guys!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/05/2005, 12:21 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck with the cyano. It is the nemesis of many aquarists. :(

dobelady
01/05/2005, 06:18 PM
anyone heard of chemi clean supposedly it gets rid of buildups in the tank and safe for all corals and increases polyps extensions etc. I am nervous about adding anything to my tank but need to get rid of cyano too.

sfsuphysics
01/05/2005, 11:05 PM
Ok I'm going to chime in, I have a refugium that is really starting to get covered in Cyano, but my main tank doesn't have squat in it. I'm fairly sure I have a good amount of flow in the tank (27x turnover of a 50g tank), all the phosphate problems would be in both tanks

So I'm wondering could lighting have an effect on it? there's just less light (different color temp too) over it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2005, 08:18 AM
anyone heard of chemi clean

Some people have used it successfully. They do not say what it is, so I don't geneally recommend it, since I cannot be sure I'd want to add it.

Here's a recent thread on it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=493809

Ok I'm going to chime in, I have a refugium that is really starting to get covered in Cyano, but my main tank doesn't have squat in it. I'm fairly sure I have a good amount of flow in the tank (27x turnover of a 50g tank), all the phosphate problems would be in both tanks

Cyano seems to prefer low flow areas. That may be why there is more in the refugium. It could be lighting as well.

sfsuphysics
01/06/2005, 10:38 AM
Hmm, that's what I thought too Randy (Dr Farley?) re: low flow areas. The only issue I really had with that is I saw the cyano flopping about on the windows so didn't think it was that low flow, although having taken a powerhead out (seio620, needed it to blow off some frags that were sliming) I have noticed the cyano has grown more so on the sand (yet doesn't grow terribly much near the output from the main tank (ie where most the flow is concentrated) perhaps I'll toss the powerhead back in and aim it directly at the patches, that'll hopefully make it move/die ?
I'm a tad apprehensive about adding chemicals to my refugium too if its just to fix an asthetic problem (ie cyano isn't "bad" for a tank is it? or does it consume oxygen or something useful?)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2005, 10:51 AM
The sand may collect detritus that breaks down, releasing nutrients such as phosphate to the cyano.

FWIW, I don't think there is anything wrong with some cyano or hair algae in the tank unless it is somethering something that you want, or is unattractive. Cyano just in a refugium is not a problem, IMO, as long as other algae can grow as well.

ZoominRex
01/06/2005, 01:16 PM
I think I am going to try chemi-clean. I've already exhausted all non-chemical options. I only feed once every 3 days. I increased flow, decreased lighting and the cyano stil thrives!

dobelady
01/06/2005, 01:21 PM
I know some people also use sugar to get a good bacteria bloom but I haven't had any luck with it. Anyone else tried that

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2005, 01:51 PM
I think I am going to try chemi-clean. I've already exhausted all non-chemical options. I only feed once every 3 days. I increased flow, decreased lighting and the cyano stil thrives!

Let us know what happens. :)

I know some people also use sugar to get a good bacteria bloom but I haven't had any luck with it. Anyone else tried that

Here's a long thread on vodka and some mention of sugar dosing for that purpose:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2159889#post2159889