PDA

View Full Version : Favia Speciosa Brain Acting Weird?

JENnKerry
01/03/2005, 05:54 PM
This morning I noticed our green and red Favia had something strange sticking out of it. It was about a half inch long. It had its feeders out but at the top of it coming out of one of the polyp centers was this straight hard tubish type thing. To me, I would think it was some kinda spawning act it was doing. I never saw anything like that before. Has anyone ever seen this happen before with Favia's or any other coral? I didnt touch it and eventually it retracted into the base along with the feeders. Do corals spawn in captivity?

fish100
01/04/2005, 12:43 AM
Spawns do occasionally happen in aquarium with different species releasing gametes into the water. Why and when is still pretty much a mystery, although lunar and/or tide probably has a lot to do with it. Could be gravity (why would a coral release gametes miles from the ocean in an aquarium)? However, how they release gametes is pretty well known. Basically corals only have one opening which they use to reproduce, feed, and excrete. They don't posess any external sex organs, et cetera. Wjat you evidenced was probably a mollusk, or maybe a worm, maybe something else, but not part of the/a coral.