PDA

View Full Version : Saltwaterfish.com and winter shipping..is it OK?

CaptainK
01/03/2005, 07:13 AM
Hi All,
I just wanted to get some feedback on anyones, or everyones experience with winter shipments from Saltwaterfish.com
I live south of Boston, MA and the evening temps are starting to run below freezing and the day time is just a little warmer.
I would be looking into ordering a fish or two, some shrimps, and some snails...possibly a coral or two.
Just wanted to know if I would be taking a major risk in getting everything to the house safely.
I know they have the arrive alive thing but I wouldn't want to chance the little guys freezing if I don't have too.

Thanks,
CaptK

MiddletonMark
01/03/2005, 07:24 AM
In winter, I always order for pickup at the distribution center. That way I get it the same morning [on my schedule] + it gets less bumping around + riding in a cold truck.

Never dealt with that vendor, don't know ... but always encourage cold-pickup where the driver can't get lost or be late.

CaptainK
01/04/2005, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't mind picking up local during the winter months. But with the prices and availability of live stock buying online is a better choice for me.
So has anyone had any other winter shipping experience with this company?

Thanks Again,
CaptK

RobChuck
01/04/2005, 09:43 AM
I've received several wintertime orders (Dec. '02, Jan. '03, Feb. '03, Mar. '04) from Saltwaterfish.com delivered to the Chicago area and have always been happy with the results; not a single DOA. Their packages are always warm inside and packed with a liberal amount of heat packs.

I think what Mark was suggesting is to arrange having the package kept at your local Fed Ex distribution center for you to pick it up, rather than the box being on a Fed Ex truck all day long. Plus, the package is usually available early in the morning, so the critters don't have to be boxed up for so long.

zanemoseley
01/04/2005, 11:04 AM
I've gotten 2 or 3 shipments from them and the packaging was top notch each time so I wouldn't hesitate ordering.