PDA

View Full Version : Nilsen's and Calcium Reactor's effluents

ChaoticReefer
01/03/2005, 04:29 AM
Hi Randy,

According to your article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

Wouldn't it be best if we drip Kalk's and Calcium Reactor's effluents into a cup before dripping both into our systems? So the OH- can more quickly react with CO2 to make carbonate.

Thanks,
Bill

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2005, 08:36 AM
That part may be beneficial, but there is a substantial possibility for precipitation of CaCO3 in the high pH, high calcium, and high alkalinity water that might result in the cup.

Usually, just allowing them to mix in a sump is adequate. :)

ChaoticReefer
01/03/2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks Randy. That was the exact direction of an answer I was looking for. I was worried about CaCO3 precip. out. I just wanted to double check with you.

jdieck
01/03/2005, 02:30 PM
One thing that I have experienced is that to reduce the effect of excess CO2 in the Ca reactor effluent, dripping it right at the inlet of the skimmer pump while the Kalk is dripped somewere else in the sump. If Kalk is dripped at night combined with a reverse cycle of a refugium you can keep the PH swing limited to within 0.5 points for increased stability.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks Randy.

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing :)

If Kalk is dripped at night combined with a reverse cycle of a refugium you can keep the PH swing limited to within 0.5 points for increased stability.

Did you really mean "limited to within 0.5 points for increased stability"? How big would your swing be otherwise?

jdieck
01/03/2005, 03:46 PM
Sorry, I meant 0.05! Before adjusting the light cycle, the dripping at the suction of the skimmer and the Kalk at night I used to get from 8.0 to about 8.25 Now I am getting from about 8.28-8.3 to 8.35 Here you can see the effect of the final adjustment of the lighting cycle. From the trend dotted line I see that in overall its providing for also an increase in average readings. Hope it stays that way

http://67.184.46.121/IISSamples/Default/aqimg2.gif

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2005, 04:05 PM
That makes sense. :)

jdieck
01/03/2005, 04:08 PM
Yes, sorry for the mistake. I can't imagine such a big swing! :)

jdieck
01/03/2005, 11:40 PM
See the above chart again? The last peak happened when house keeping the aquarium with extended lighting hours plus lots of aiptasia to kill using Kalk paste.
By the way the chart in that link updates hourly. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/04/2005, 08:15 AM
By the way the chart in that link updates hourly.

Now that is cool. So the chart in this post will be different every time someone opens it in the future!

We'll pop you an email if we see anything that you need to deal with! :D

jdieck
01/04/2005, 09:34 AM
Yes, I did not noticed until yesterday. I tough it will just post the picture but because the picture changes every hour at the server it seems that the above chart also changes every time the thread is opened.
That chart is part of my internet tracking system. I thought you saw it before.
Now that gives me an idea for tank sitting!
What about next time I am traveling I post a thread with the PH, ORP and Temp charts and you let me know if I am in trouble?
Fee negotiable of course! :D

Here is the tracking of the tank status:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/frames.html
This updates every 15 minutes, alarm will indicate high / low limits for temp, PH and ORP and will also indicate water on the floor by the tank or in the basement by the sump. On alarm I get a text message to my hand phone and an E-Mail to my work and personal accounts. If you park the mouse on any of the equipment images it will tell you if is is on line and if in auto or manual mode.

Here is the tracking of the last 7 days parameters this updates every hour:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/graph.html

mothra
01/04/2005, 10:19 AM
jdiek -

What monitoring system(s) are you using?

jdieck
01/04/2005, 10:28 AM
I am using Neptune Aquacontroller via Aquanotes with customized enhanced software and hardware.