PDA

View Full Version : Think this skimmers any good?

cj_basser
01/02/2005, 04:18 PM
hey,
Today i was at Jacks at Easton just browsing around for equipment i would need to get for my 20long i am setting up. I saw this skimmer and it was only $100. I thought it looked good and it even came with a pump!

http://petsolutions.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_12515869_A_Model+75+SKimmer_E_

knowing that petsolutions.com was the mail order company of Jacks, i ofund it on petsolutions.com

Do you think this skimmer is any good, or is it just a peice of junk?

Thanks,
CJ

USAquatics
01/02/2005, 04:52 PM
cj....
Skimmer is a Pro Clear Aquatics skimmer. They are a great little skimmer for the money. The are always better skimmers but this is a great VALUE! I have used other PCA products before and they seem to work fine. Beware though, the collection cup is acrylic and while break if dropped. Trust me I know.

ronc98
01/02/2005, 05:01 PM
I had one of those skimmers for about a year. It worked great. You have to keep it clean though.

daveisrael
01/04/2005, 07:44 AM
I've never personally had one, but I don't like how it says:

"spiral water-air movement for superior foam collection."

This sounds like a Sea-Clone to me, which I have had, and they are pieces of junk in my opinion. Depends how big your system is, but a CPR SR2 is in the $100 range, and they are great little skimmers, they're even better if you switch the Rio out for a maxi-jet 1200 (w/ venturi), just something to look at:

CPR SR2 (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CPR-SR2&Category_Code=CPRSR)

cj_basser
01/04/2005, 08:19 AM
thanks dave, i will deffenantly have to check that out.

CJ

Rockker
01/04/2005, 09:25 AM
Aquatraders even have the CPR knock offs for half of that.

Aquatraders (http://www.aquatraders.com/aquatraders/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=78)

Rockker

cj_basser
01/04/2005, 10:29 AM
does anyone have any experience with aqautraders? as far as i know, they are a fairly new company.

scottfarcuz
01/04/2005, 02:01 PM
We were talking about the JEBO skimmers on ohio reefers and lori7973 mentioned she has one and was more impressed with it than a remora that she also owned.

Thats her nick on RC also so maybe drop her a PM if you want to hear it straight from her.

I've seen several threads here on the vendor itself and I dont remember hearing any complaints.

USAquatics
01/04/2005, 06:09 PM
Skimmer is not at all like a SeaClone. Uses a Rio pump with air induction.. Produces a nice column of bubbles. Has air intake to control water level/foam production. Again a great value for $99

daveisrael
01/05/2005, 07:28 AM
Aquatraders even have the CPR knock offs for half of that.

That looks like a heck of a deal, the skimmer looks almost identical to the CPR that I had. It doesn't look like it comes with a pump though, so you may have to throw another $20.

Skimmer is not at all like a SeaClone.
Sorry, not trying to offend, I've never owned one. What does "spiral water air movement" mean though?, does it twist up like the Sea-Clone, or is it something different?

Has air intake to control water level/foam production.
Also, it doesn't look like water level is easy to adjust. If the only way to adjust it is by cutting off some of the air intake, then while your reducing the amount of air you'll be reducing performance as well....right? IMO you'll want a skimmer where the water level is ajdusted with either an adjustable riser pipe or a collection cup that you can adjust the height of, this way you can go from "wet" to "dry" skimming without reducing efficiency.

Rockker
01/05/2005, 08:37 AM
Dave:

By the way.

That CPR I got from you is a GREAT SKIMMER. I added a Maxi-jet 1200 and Venturi kit and it works wonderful!!! The 1st 12 hours or so after cleaning it produces a ton of micro bubbles, but after that nothing. I added a sponge on the return elbow to stop the small bubbles also.

It out works my Aqua C easily.

Thanks again
Rockker

Ookinohito
01/05/2005, 11:34 AM
For clarification, the Pro Clear skimmer has an adjustment pipe on the outlet that raises or lowers the water level in the skimmer, similar to the seaclone. See the pics on this page:

http://www.proclearaquaticsystems.com/skimmers.html

Both the proclear and seaclone have air intakes that pull air into the pump, which chops the bubbles up. The seaclone, however, has a tube in the center, similar to the Jebo that was also mentioned in the thread. The intake goes into this tube, which creates a 'tornado' inside the skimmer. The output is on the outside, which reduces microbubbles.

The proclear, on the other hand, doesn't have this inner tube, and thus the vortex actually stays in the skimmer longer, giving rise to more contact time with the water.

I personally don't own a proclear, but have researched the hell out of them, and am planning on buying an MPS150 (the 150 gal model) soon.

I used a seaclone a few years ago, and wasn't impressed. That's not to say that it didn't work, but it didn't work well enough to use on the tank size they say they are for. The SC100 would probably be fine for a 55. The SC150 would be fine for a 75, but I wouldn't use it on anything bigger.

daveisrael
01/05/2005, 09:35 PM
For clarification, the Pro Clear skimmer has an adjustment pipe on the outlet that raises or lowers the water level in the skimmer, similar to the seaclone.

Thanks for the info., doesn't sound like a bad skimmer.

Dave:By the way.That CPR I got from you is a GREAT SKIMMER.

Glad to hear it, it always kicked butt for me too!

Northtampatang
01/10/2005, 04:21 PM
I have a PCA 75 and a PCA 150, they work awsome for the price, far better than the SC as far as i'm concerned.

Dubbin1
01/10/2005, 04:34 PM
I have the Pro Clear HOB 75 and all I can say is that its a piece of crap.

NEEDMONEYFORMORESALT
01/12/2005, 04:08 PM
IMO, you can get an aqua C from marine depot with a maxi jet for $163. not that much of a difference after you buy a pump to go with the mentioned skimmer. You'll be alot happier in the long run.

cj_basser
01/12/2005, 05:12 PM
well the one at Jacks already comes witht he pump. its a CAP, and from what i ahve read, those are pretty good pumps.

Ookinohito
01/12/2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Clear skimmers all come with CAP pumps. They used to come with Rio pumps, but they had too many quality control issues, so they dropped them a couple of years ago...

USAquatics
01/13/2005, 08:09 AM
The Pro Clear 75 skimmer still comes with a Rio. Cap pumps do not nave the air intake that the small Rio has. All other Pro Clear skimmers do come with Cap pumps.