PDA

View Full Version : Coil Denitrater

SciGuy2
12/07/2001, 11:03 AM
Hi DIY gang!

I'm thinking about building a coil denitrater. I remember people were messing about with them a few years ago, prior to the big DSB craze.

Anyone have experience with them? If so, how good of a job do they do? Can they compete with a DSB? Do you think that an oversized coil denitrater could possibly keep up with nitrates from a heavy feeding schedule?

Thanks for your insight,
-Sci

David Grigor
12/07/2001, 06:38 PM
If at all possible stick with a DSB.

It's one more thing you have to fiddle with. I didn't DIY but back around 1996'ish I bought on of those Aquamedic Denitrater. IMO It was a total pain never did really get it to work very well.

SciGuy2
12/08/2001, 12:49 PM
David,

Thanks for the response. I figured that coil nitrate reducers weren't all they were cracked up to be.

I've had SD sand in the garage for 6 months, but the whole thought of adding a bunch of sand, that will no doubt become a nutrient sump scares me. It seems that an awful lot of expense and effort is put into the DSB. I keep thinking that many have switched over to raising DSB's instead of reefs...hundreds of $$$ for sand, hundreds of $$$ for critter kits, $$ for DTs that feed the sand bed but not the corals and inverts we are raising. Refuges added because the animals in the main tank might eat the DSB critters, then lighting for the refuge - it goes on and on. I have read Dr. Ron's stuff since he started his forum here, and have read about all the success of people with DSB's but I think I'd rather concentrate on finding and alternate method of nitrate reduction and then seperately raise foods that specifically feed the inverts I want to raise.

I've been Berlin for 9 years...

Thanks,
-Sci

David Grigor
12/10/2001, 09:07 AM
I certainly understand the pain involved with trying to add a DSB after tank is already established. This is one of those things you can make it as complicated as you want or as simple as you want.

I would seriously consider added one if/when you were to ever upgrade tanks. Adding the 3" sandbed to your main tank, outside of the initial cost of the sand ( if Southdown is not available locally ), there is virtually no maintenance required and the benefits are no detectable nitrates + the sandbed fuana feeds the corals.

This is one of those things along with drilled tanks is a main stay now for any tanks I put up......

SciGuy2
12/10/2001, 12:03 PM
I hear ya on the drilled tank thing.

I've been slowly setting up a new 46 gal for the last year. I wish I had had it drilled...

The new tank just hasn't taken off like I'd like. My other systems are successful Berlin systems but I've always had a some measurable nitrate in them at times and haven't wanted to add SPS or a DSB to them. Thus my interest in denitrators. It would be the lowest impact way of denitrification in these established systems short of the water changes I already do.

BTW, I'm not too impressed with 46 gal tanks. I'll never recommend them to others for reef tanks. There is such a limited amount of usable space over them compared to a typical 55 gal. it is rediculous. All I was able to pack over the tank is 4 VHO lamps for lighting. Getting good chaotic circulation in them is a challenge also.

Thanks,
-Sci